Remote desktop isn't all that bad

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
Bebeman

Remote desktop isn't all that bad

Post by Bebeman »

I bought this puppy for my 5 year old to play with, frustrated with the lack of software, I thought I'd give remote desktop a try....it's slow, but it works....The big question for me was... will club penguin work?. My 5yr old won't give the Webpad back! Sooooo anyone getting a "G" card working under wince 5? Not sure if the slow web experience is bottleneck by the "B" card, or hardware limitations of the dt366.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Remote desktop isn't all that bad

Post by Foxx »

Although I am not running WinCE anymore, I do have a Belkin PCMCIA 802.11G and Linksys WUSB54G wifi card running in XP Embedded. The PCMCIA doesnt 'hiccup' as much. If you have the chance and skill, try and run WinXP or Win2k, but keep in mind the WebDT 366 is very limited on hardware resources. 400Mhz isnt all too much power...
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
Bebeman

Post by Bebeman »

I noticed a a posting that listed compatable hardware with wince 5.0....I think I'll try that first.  If I go with another OS it will probally be Puppy Linux... the most recent distro runs a bit slow, but Puppy 2x seems pretty snappy (Live cd).

Thanks much
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

I don't think B is the bottleneck.

I could not get the PCMCIA slot to read or write faster than 1.6MB/s to a fast CF card in the PCMCIA slot. I have a feeling both the PCMCIA and CF card are hanging off a USB1.1 connection.  (USB 1.1 12Mb/8 = 1.5MB/s I.e. within my experimental error.)

Dave.