XP Embedded

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

XP Embedded

Post by quotaholic »

Reports are that XP Embedded will work on a WebDT366. Question is does anyone have such a configuration working? Unconfirmed reports indicate that you need to use a windows deployment build service to make an embedded client.

Can anyone offer more insight?
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: XP Embedded

Post by angrymeat »

I have an xpe imagefor the dt366 but its a big image 400 ish megs so not much space left outside of it . you should be able to build an image with windows embedded studio .  I promised the person I got the image form I wouldnt share it but I can post a devices.pmg from mine which should get you down the right track with xpe.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks for sharing the information angrymeat, that is great news. I'm pretty dumb on windows and I just dont know what that file is/does but I would love to see it.

Respecting the agreement you have with your friend, may I ask this:

Would you be able to offer any advice to someone seeking to purchase XPe for their DT? Say a finger point in the direction of a type of business or an actual entity that offers the service?

If someone wanted to say, customize a DT for an application that relied on XP and then resell it, they would need to make sure the proper licensing was observed.

By chance Is windows embedded studio dependant on another suite like visual studios? Again I am just not too bright on windows but I am really interested as I fall in to the description made in the previous paragraph.

thanks for your post and welcome!
quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

xp embedded is  studio is available as a free trial pretty much your images only work for 180 days then need rebuilt
as for specific licensing I have 0 clue .
the Devices.pmq is pretty much a hardware profile of the unit it shows everything that xpe had to load for the tablet.

once you have that you pretty much just piece together your install. I wouldnt suggest messing with xpe unless you have a pretty good idea how windows works. or are prepared to do ALOT of reading. The image I have actualy came from an atigo unit that had xpe from the factory . it doesnt run super fast n these but beats the hell out of ce5 :)
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks again! I think you just pretty much spoke for my day tomorrow.

quotaholic
mcreim

Re: XP Embedded running, but sound and bottons do not function

Post by mcreim »

Hi,

I finally got my dt366 working with windows xp embedded (trial)  ;D .
I managed to build a version that runs, but it lacks sound and also the four buttons under the screen do not function.

I wonder if there is any driver I need. XP runs good so far and (as I installed the device mananger) I can see that there is a yellow "?" in front of the audio-device, some USB-device (which I think is the bluetooth) and one "unknow device" (which I think is the device that controls the keys.).

Does anybody here has some of the needed windows xp drivers for the dt366? There is nothing to be downloaded on the manufactors page and also amd has nothing to offer for xpe.

Greetings from germany
Michael
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

gj the attempts I made were crashing durring boot due to ide issues . can you post any of your configs on here?
mcreim

Re: XP Embedded running, but sound and bottons do not function

Post by mcreim »

darkcirca wrote: Some drivers used for XPe:
-Button Agent
-Audio
-Graphics
-Calibration software
-LCD Brightness control
-LAN/Bluetooth

There are others, but those are the only ones I've seen in the build (generally speaking). The biggest issue is getting the agents, as you may have to contact DT directly.
Graphics and calibration are working (calibration is included in the Pen-Driver). Brightness-control, audio-output and button agent are not. I'll try to contact DT. Maybe they have something to offer then. :-)

Greetings
Michael
sunnyvoip

Post by sunnyvoip »

There are some DT Research DT360 tablet with XPe for sale on ebay before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0302569636
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0315175480

I guess someone with XPe development experinece should be able to create a trial version XPe image.
mcreim

Post by mcreim »

sunnyvoip wrote: There are some DT Research DT360 tablet with XPe for sale on ebay before.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0302569636
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0315175480

I guess someone with XPe development experinece should be able to create a trial version XPe image.
But those were very expensive.

I think I can build XPe images with the trial-target-designer from MS, but I think some drivers are missing (but issue can be solved I think).

The build process lasts about one hour. That means building the image, transfering it to the 366 and then booting. First time a new image of xpe boots, there is a so called "first boot agent" which takes about 20-30 minutes to configure the xpe-image on the device. So testing of new functions and elements is a rather boring task. (building, waiting, transfering, waiting, booting, waiting, testing) :-)
For now I have an image which does not keep its settings (it runs perfect, but all you change within windows will be lost after reboot). I barely remember what changes I made, so I have to go back to my first image and start all over.

I wonder if there is a way to test new images on an emulator so I can speed up the build-test-transfer process a bit.

Greetings
Michael
gecko

Post by gecko »

Hi Michael

Could you please provide a link to your .slx file, would help heaps for any others trying to get an image going as well.

Regards,

Leigh
mcreim

Post by mcreim »

gecko wrote: Hi Michael

Could you please provide a link to your .slx file, would help heaps for any others trying to get an image going as well.

Regards,

Leigh
yes I will do that in the evening, when I have access to my machine at home.

Greetings
Michael

Update: Here is the link to the .slx-File:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=576ad76cbd49192f75a4fc82078ae6c8e04e75f6e8ebb871
The word "neu" in the filename means "new" (I am in germany) :-)
Last edited by mcreim on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

the inability to save changes is EWF  msdn instructions to disable it so you can install software is below.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... ed.5).aspx
mcreim

Post by mcreim »

Thank you, that really helped me out.

Now it's "only" the lack of sound and the missing driver for the four keys that is missing for a perfect xpe image. :-)

Greetings
Michael