Connecting a DT366 to your PC

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
rickpcb

Connecting a DT366 to your PC

Post by rickpcb »

Complete newbie here, how do I connect my DT366 to my PC for file transfers, etc? Can this be done by USB? I have tried a USB cable but the PC does not recognize the DT. The USB port on the PC will recognize other USB devices.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Connecting a DT366 to your PC

Post by angrymeat »

currently no one has been able to get a usb connection working under usb with ce 5 . you could connect to a netwrok share over your home network  or put the files on a usb flash drive and transfer them that way as well. Read these forums you will see some of the options you have on your dt along with how few options you have with ce 5 x86
rickpcb

Post by rickpcb »

Thanks very much for the info. I searched these forums and could not find mention of a direct connection anywhere - although the DT with CE 5.0 has a setting in the control panel for PC connections. I found the information here about the proper wireless card and got my Cisco Aironet working perfectly. I also found a PCMCIA ethernet card that the DT366 recognizes. With this card perhaps I can connect to my network through a hub or switch and transfer files that way? I am still researching the bluetooth and trying to see what I can do with it. If I cannot make a few simple things work with CE I may try Linux... is there anything that doesnt work on Linux? And what is the favorite distro? keep in mind I am a newbie - so its gotta be easy to set up...
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hey rickpcb, I dont keep tabs on the windows side of this site too often. Just saw your post. You should be able to transfer files between the DT and your computer with either card if you were to utilize a network shared folder on the computer provided that computer was connected to the network. I am linux only so I cant advise you on how to set up a windows computer to do this.

I can tell you all about the different versions of linux found here though. I have made the debian and Slackware based "images" or operating systems here. Its hard to fit all the functionality everyone wants to see within one operating system so I have made a few. Still making them actually. I would like to know what you expect from an operating system, aka how you intend to use, and possibly I could recommend one of the linux distributions here. The only thing that "currently" is not working are the hard buttons on the DT. We are working on it though. As with any software development progress does not meet the pace of demand. 

Bluetooth may require some text level interaction on some of the images as a bluetooth connection manager on linux us a relatively new concept. I am working on porting the existing "blueman" manager to the DT platform. So buttons dont work and bluetooth, at the moment, a grey area for a less than intermediate tweaker if your looking to connect to other devices. The debian lxde1.1 image I made has this manager in it but its not working 100 percent. Your cisco air350 will work out of the box on all images I have made so far.

Feel free to ask me anything about linux only I would advise to place it on the linux side as I really dont check here too often.
Hope it helps
quotaholic
Daryl