I don't have an internal battery

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
dr_Henio

I don't have an internal battery

Post by dr_Henio »

I can't run WebDT. It works only on the power supply. What can I do to run it on an external battery?
Or how to replace the internal battery?
dr_Henio

Re: I don't have an internal battery

Post by dr_Henio »

what is the voltage on each (red, yellow) pins internal battery?
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

dr_Henio wrote: what is the voltage on each (red, yellow) pins internal battery?
At full Charge:
-Blk +red = 8.40Volts
-Blk +yel = 0volts
-yel +red = 8.29Volts

There is not voltage rating on my internal, but the external says 7.4Volts.  After just powering on the the unit a couple times and a few minutes usage, the voltage dropped to 8.05Volts.  I suspect there is a surface charge in play.

Resitance reading blk-yel = 116.4K ohms  @ 67deg F (this is probably a temp sensor )

Guessing the Blk to yellow connection is a thermistor, I place the Battery in the Freezer for a few minutes.
Check Resistance again.... Started at 420K ohms and watched it decrease resistance over time.... Funny it was about 1K ohm per second...

Since the thermistor is most likely for charge/overcharge protection you can get away without the connection for yellow since you have no battery to protect.

I did confirm the unit will boot with no connection at the center/yellow pin.

Also worth noting is the picky behavior of the DT and battery status.  If I remove the internal battery from any of my DT's 366GX and 366LX, the unit won't power on until I plug in the power chord.  This is true even if the external battery remains installed.  I don't need to power on the unit with the cord attached.  All I have to do is plug in the DC jack for a second or two.  I can then remove the cord and power on just with the battery.

Hope this helps.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
cybertronics

Post by cybertronics »

Hi guys,

I have a WEB DT366 with both internal and external batterys that will not take a charge. After close examination, I have found that the cells that make up the batterys are (Panasonic CGA523450C) these are connected with two groups of 2 wired series and those wired paralell.

If anyone is interested, I have found a possible replacement solution. The (NOKIA BL-5C) battery is the same cell internally. You will need to strip the cells from the nokia casing and connect these in a series / parallel configuration using your original charging circutry to make the replacement battery.

I will update on my results when the batterys arrive.
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22692

Only $2.57 with free shipping.  I have a couple on the way to try as well.

-Dave
plane_crazy

Post by plane_crazy »

Dave or Cybertronics,

Have you had any luck with this new battery yet?

Bruce
plane_crazy
cybertronics

Post by cybertronics »

I have tried these batteries, and I can verify that they do indeed work. :)
damwashere

Post by damwashere »

I also built a replacement battery for my 366 using the cell phone battery route. I was able to carefully cut away the "battery protector" portion of the cell phone battery, while leaving its welded tabs installed. It is fairly easy to solder to the welded tabs. You must re-use the existing WebDT battery protection board. Be sure to very thouroughly insulate, and to make sure wear and tear will not cause wires to shift. We don't want to get onto youtube with a burning WebDT video... (Dell still has not lived that one down...) The new battery works well, although mine ended up a bit thicker. I was able to use foam backed double sided tape (servo tape) to hold the battery cover on. The result is nearly "smooth", but not quite. It does work, and is good for over an hour of use.
damwashere

Post by damwashere »

Has anyone found a source for "bare cells" in the correct sizes for the internal and external batteries? Ebay is flooded with bare cylindrical cells, but there don't seem to be any sources for the prismatic types used in the DTs...

Has anyone found an inexpensive equivalent cell phone or camera battery that matches the cell size of the external battery?

DAM
bones38

Post by bones38 »

Has anyone gotten the yellow figured out? I makes me a bit nervous to not use it..