Much Action Here Lately?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
thom

Much Action Here Lately?

Post by thom »

I've been busy with other projects, but was wondering if there was much action on here lately?

I don't see many new posts on the Linux front.

I will be ready to work on a Linux image this coming week, and will be trying macpup. Anyone else gave it a spin lately?
thom

Re: Much Action Here Lately?

Post by thom »

Necroing my own thread, I've been unsuccessful with macpup. I just ready through Quotaholics post, and I guess he mentioned what happened.

Maybe to list what I am looking for in an image for mine.

Small and sleek. I require very few modules. X, touchscreen drivers, wireless support for the basics.
To extend that, I would like perl, and festival. I require perl and festival for my home automation. I am pushing speech to clients from my server, and I am using festival to do that.

I only need a web browser to run in my X session. It's quite basic. I can go with firefox, or even one of the lighter browsers. I'm just hitting status screens to see how my house is operating, and it's all web gui.

I've been using the puppy image on my 7 devices, but I don't have festival working on it. I'm comfortable enough with linux that I can dump images to them to try.

Oh, I have the 366 gx I think with 512M ram and 512M hard drive. I don't feel like changing that for these devices, but I will consider using the CF slot to expand the storage if need be.

Thanks.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

512MB RAM on a GX is rare I think.

If you want to try an image for a GX there are several on this site.  Here are just a few.

forum/viewtopic.php?t=3

forum/viewtopic.php?t=1

forum/viewtopic.php?t=3
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hey Thom,

Your timing is impeccable. I have just uploaded an image and with Volkswagners help we have a simple way to install it. I do need you to check out and verify your hardware though. The GX and LX are more than slightly different on the inside. Let me ask this. Your wifi, is it pcmcia or is it intel 2200 pcie?

Would love to know more about your home system. I used to install Crestron systems and love home brew automation.

If you have the newer hardware my latest image would be of interest. If you have older hardware let me know. I will check my archives for an image that may suit your needs. If you do not need bluetooth (70mb) I can retool one of my older mages for you. Festival has a few deps but not overwhelming. I don't want to go much further with the thought until we figure if you are GX or LX hardware. But yeah, I think something lightweight can be whipped up.

I got only so far with macpup myself. Couldn't calibrate the touchscreen.  Frustrating.

Thanks
quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thom

Post by thom »

Well I forgot about the bluetooth. I'm anticipating using it so that I can do presence detection based on bluttooth ids in cell phones. Everyone has them, and they all squak I think, so I had planned on keeping that so that when one of the tablets picked my phone up, it could register as me being there.

I'm sure I have the GX. It's the older one I got from tbowland. I got 6 from him, and I had another one at my house. I'm also certain it has 512M of ram as well. I gotta boot one up and check it out.

I wonder what I ca strip from the puppy install. I just downloaded macpup 5.25 to try tonight.

I'm using X10 for all my home automation. I realize it's not 100% reliable, but it was what I had and it was cheap when I got it. Once I get a little more success and a roadmap planned out, I will start swapping it for insteon.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

First,  I like your style with the personal recognition via cell phone. NFC or near field communication is going to get very popular soon and you are on that level with that feature.

Second, tbowland has only 512mb beautiful lx series hardware last I checked. It says ambia in the upper right yes? They are old however tbowlands have no usage. The GX series most of us got off auction looked like they were dragged behind a truck.

Three words, go for it. Try out that image I just uploaded. I removed aptitude from it so installing will take some time. I use wget. find the download link and wget http://........deb then sudo dpkg -i .........deb and voila.

If not I can see what I can do about adding the packages to my build and imaging that for you. That route will take me a few days. I am gearing up for a local lug meeting tomorrow evening and a huge job interview the next morning. After that I am free to build.

I cant wait to be able to afford and play with insteon myself.

Let me know
quotaholic
thom

Post by thom »

Yes, mine say ambia in the top right corner. I'm certain they are the GX series. I don't think they are LX.

The image you just uploaded is for the LX?

I looked at Volkswagons images and am working at downloading them again.

I have the intel ipw2200 wireless in my machines.
I checked the ram. 512M. with a 512M hard drive as well.

Thanks.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

My image will work on your hardware.

The links that Volks provided are for older images. Take the one I just uploaded, do the clonezila thing and you should be 95 percent to your goal. Just have festival to go. I believe perl is installed by default but I could be wrong.

Could not fit bluetooth in any of the older images. I think "current" is the only one that will do what you need.