What I brought mine for and how I am using it

If you have a posted video online or a website that shows how you are using your WebDT, by all means, please show it off! WebDT reserves the right to remove content that is not in line with the goas of webdt.org or videos that are not in good taste.
bkofoed

What I brought mine for and how I am using it

Post by bkofoed »

I have ben look for an tablet to use as a ebook reader.  I wanted instant on-off and to be able to open doc, rtf and txt files.  The 366 I got on ebay work great for this and I have installed pocketdos on it!  Now I have a copy of MS Windows 3.0 that will ran under pocketdos to put on it also.  So I will be ranning win3 on it, please no rudeness.
piterix

Re: What I brought mine for and how I am using it

Post by piterix »

How about touch screen - is it working in DOS or Windows 3.0 ? (If it is - can you give link to yours screen drivers)
lgharriman

Post by lgharriman »

Nothing wrong with DOS.  I started in computers back in 1978 when they only came with BASIC and nothing else.  I love DOS and have only switched since programs are harder to find.  I have a DT 366 on its way.  I am looking forward to working with it.  I plan on putting Puppy Linux on it and maybe some programming stuff for the microchips.  I have worked with some of them and love it.  Have a good one.

lgharriman  :) :) :)
damwashere

Post by damwashere »

lgharriman,
    I also started with computers in '78. (Apple][, 16k RAM, integer basic, cassette tape drive)

DOS might be interesting on the WebDT, but it seems like an uphill battle. Touchscreen, power management, button events, USB, etc...

For those looking for that simple life in a small device, might I suggest the HP 200LX... There are quite a few floating around ebay... Runs off of AA batteries for quite a while. Runs DOS 5 from ROM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_200LX

DAM
piterix

Post by piterix »

I have already installed DOS. Everything works fine. Touchscreen too- BUT, games has difrent resolution and I have to calibrate the screen too often. And dos without ANY key is a nightmare...
ShortMan

Post by ShortMan »

Bought mine just to Dink around with,  hoping to see how it does with Android. Some of my uses:

Flash based alarm clock with weather Widgets
Network based photo frame (dock is great here) when charging using screensaver slideshow
Video player (MP4 500 Mb/s videos look great and stream well using Mplayer)
Just sitting on the couch browsing

Most apps are portable versions, opera mini,Thunderbird, etc.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

ShortMan would you mind telling us what OS you're currently running?
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
ShortMan

Post by ShortMan »

xp pro butchered down to 150MB installer with nLite. I tried the embedded route, but just could not get a reliable install from it with everything that i wanted. it took me a few days and many CD's to get it just right, but finally figured out how to use a USB stick to install from, saving CD's and time.

I still have >100MB free on the C drive, and my task manager shows  > 260 MB available RAM as i type this from opera.

other apps that work well:
RDP (windows version) host and client.
comfort keyboard (virtual)
klite codec pack version 1.6 with mplayer
Dial-up networking (buiilt-in windows version) tethering to my blackberry
allmost any of the portable apps suite, including clamwin.
Kindle reader
daemon tools virtual CD-ROM for mounting iso images over tcp/ip
foxit pdf reader
gphotoshow slideshow screensaver (might as well be a photo frame while charging!). connects to unc paths too!
yahoo widgets for rss, weather, etc.
7-zip

I have a 512/512 dt366lx from tbowlan, external batttery, m-pci wifi, bt 2.0.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Nice,

I messed with nLite, but only got it down to 177MB.  I wanted to retain the RDP, which is stripped from microXP.

Would you mind sharing your nLite config file.  I believe that is all anyone would need to replicate your setup, and take advantage of all your hard work).  Windows Components I do have, maybe you don't:

Paint
Notepad
Wireless Network Setup Wizard
New Connection Wizard
Disk cleanup
Calculator
Scheduled tasks
Seems I have working Appearance and themes, including screen saver(just no themes except default installed)
User accounts and fast user switching--- I think this is a biggie to drop.
As of right now, my 177MB install of XPhome is running low on space.  I only have the following installed to my 512MB flash drive:

Opera 11.01  18.5 MB
Penmount DMC9000  2.5MB
Touch-It virtual keyboard  4.3MB
MC-WOL.exe  5.5KB
BtnAgent  1.5 MB
Mplayer classic  5.5MB

Need to see how to trim down Opera... C:\Doc&Settings\Owner\LocalSettings\Temp\CProgramFilesOpera is taking up 40MB on disk, of that 11.3MB is Locale...  Just noticed the install.exe was in there, I think that will get rid of 9MB right off the bat.

Cheers,

Eric
ShortMan

Post by ShortMan »

I have zipped up the INI files, but it seems that in order to get the net results, all of them need to be applied, as they seem to be exclusive of each other. I never really did fully understand how the nLite ini files worked, especially the drivers, as each time I built another based on the previous, the drivers would multiply by a factor of how many times I have made a new install.

Send me a PM with your email and I will return the zipped package tonight.

I thing the biggest difference between yours and mine is that I have moved the programs, temp, and other items to the D: drive (USB 2.o flash), and I use Portable apps versions , including Opera.

Moving the temp and programs folder is part of the unattended portion of the nLite. Also pay attention to the "Tweeks"
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

When you use NLITE it makes a file in the i386 directory of the ISO image before you install.  The file is NLITE.INI and it has the registry tweaks that you selected when you ran NLITE.  Use 7zip to explore the ISO and extract the file.  MicroXP has TWEAK.REG and the STARTUPXP.BAT routine that runs on the first reboot.  You can edit these files and apply the entire $OEM$ directory to your NLITE ISO image and come up with a custom XP installation.  This is how the "WEBDT Edition" of XP was created.  Check the pirate sites for that.

You can still keep RDP in your NLITEd version and get it down to 130mb +/- with oobe, media player and IE stripped.  Also use nlite to delete all the sound files and add your own in after install.  Also tell nlite to remove all drivers - use what you have just for the DT after the install, don't add them to nilte.  There is another thing to check for removal - something like "manual install" that is 44mb - you don't need that.  Make sure you have SFC disabled in the patches section of nlite.  Then after the install you can delete \windows\system32\drivers\*.cab since it's no longer needed along with all those empty directories.  You can delete that oembios.dat file as well to gain back 12mb of space.

After compression of NTFS you will have about 300mb free to add your apps.

If you tell me some more specific info offline, I'm sure I can help you make an nilte version well under 150mb.

-DT_Dave
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

When creating an Nlite project, I thought the session file would do all the magic.

For the working directory (the nlited files) the root directory has two created files for each session or attempt.

LAST SESSION.INI and LAST SESSION_U.INI.

I thought I coul just grab the two files above from your version which would allow me to restore your session with all applied check boxes.

It appears Nlite keeps a revision of these as each saved session get renamed with a date, while the absolute latest is named as above.

Am I way off on this?
Oh, NTFS... I was certain that I selected NTFS during install, but I see my disk as FAT.. I thought perhaps Windows installer thought my disk was not capable of NTFS.
I was not able to find:
"something like "manual install" that is 44mb"
Last edited by volkswagner on Sat May 21, 2011 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

When you install XP you choose FAT or NTFS when you format.  You need to choose NTFS so that you can use compression - it's the only way to go with just 512mb of space.  The FAT to NTFS converter has problems so just select NTFS at the start.

The last_session.ini will restore the last choices of YOUR installation.  If you run NLITE and strip out 10 things, then run it a second time and strip out 10 more things then the last_session.ini will only have the second 10 things selected.  If you start with a new ISO image and load the last session, the original 10 items will be back and not marked for deletion - in this example.

Also, swapping last_session.ini with other users may have different results even if you only run it once.  It depends on the starting CD of XP - it comes in many flavors.  XP corporate (no activation), XP OEM (Dell, HP, Compaq,etc.), XP upgrade (like from 2k), XP retail (like when you buy it at Staples) and then you have home, pro or tablet edition and then there are four different service pack versions plus different US, North America, International versions.  With all those different "starting points" restoring a last_session will have different results with different starting points.

I'll try to make a couple screen prints of stuff that can be cut easily - at least from my Dell OEM starting point.  I also have a retail XP starting CD, XP Home (Dell OEM) and the HP Tablet Edition.  All can be cut with NLITE and all work nicely on the WEBDT.  XPte needs 1gb minimum but 2gb is really nice.  I have 4gb modules in my 366s and the 360s and they run XPte very nicely with no compression and a nice paging file as well.

If you are tight for space, you can do a split install of XP between C: and D: and put some of XP on the CF card if it's 166x or better.  NLITE will let you do that.  It's a little slow but you can be selective what you put on the CF card where speed is not an issue and that leaves more space on the internal 512mb.  For example, you can put \documents and settings on the CF card as drive C: so your personal settings, desktop and My Documents appear as drive C: but are actually on the CF card.  This gives you that 'normal' feeling. When you install new programs you can choose the location manually and put it in a location where it performs best for you.  The internal drive ends up as D: and that's where you put the bootable stuff like \windows.  Simple tricks done at the XP install text screen before the GUI part starts.

Upgrading that internal space solves a lot of problems and a 4gb flash drive is not that expensive.  Then you can load XPte.

-Dave