Installed External HD Recognized by bios, but cant fdisk-- Help --

Topics on hardware and modifications. Please post your "how to" steps that involve tools here.
cybertronics

Installed External HD Recognized by bios, but cant fdisk-- Help --

Post by cybertronics »

;D I removed the pin hedder from the board on JHDD1 and soldered a standard 40 pin IDE ribbon cable in its place. I routed this outside the case for easy access. I am using an external power source for pin 41 (5v Logic), 42 (5v Motor), and 43 (GND). I could use 5v from the USB, but I dont know about loading. Anyway, I should be able to use any tupe of hard drive with this setup regardless of the voltage by using external power.

I installed a regular HDD and used a PC power supply and found that the bios detects the drive. I proceeded to make a bootable USB pen drive and tried to run fdisk and get the following error:

Run-time error R6003 -integer devide by 0.

I would really like to get this working. I cannot access the drive in dos  untill I am able to partition the drive with a fat file system. :'(

Thanks Guys
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installed External HD Recognized by bios, but cant fdisk

Post by Foxx »

I have done whats has been dubbed the "Dingleberry Mod" which is what you have done. Can you snap some pics? I have extensive writeups on my progress on different drives that do and dont work, how I have hooked them up, and the needed steps to make sure they wont blow up... and yes, I have had a 1.8" ZIF IDE cable burst into flames!

You would be better off using a 1.8" ZIF drive, buy an old zune or ipod with cracked LCD, and pull the 30-60GB HDD out, buy some 44 pin IDE cable, solder it int (making a connector isnt smart, its too easy to short out) you seem to have adequate solder skill. Use a 44 pin to 1.8" ZIF IDE Adapter, mod the voltage regulator off it, and go full dingleberry! Search for my posts, I have tons of info and pics.