Would anyone like a ghost image of MicroXP for WebDT 366?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
thebraintank

Re: Would anyone like a ghost image of MicroXP for WebDT 366?

Post by thebraintank »

Coburn64 wrote: Sorry that I came across like a bitch guys, at the time of writing I was really down and just hanging together (maybe depressed?) but yeah, I got email and PM overload.

Coburn's back. And he's reloaded. Fully Reloaded.

The Ghost Image C Drive is formatted using FAT16 (!). Could that be a problem?  :o

Listen up. I think I may have a solution! Yup.

It'll involve the Windows XP Ghost Image (extract all the files using Ghost Explorer into a directory, that way it'll work), Windows 98 DOS (DOS 7.1) and GRUB4DOS

We'll make a bootable USB drive, copy over all WinXP files to C Drive after using FDISK, then copy GRUB4DOS over to C Drive and we should have a working copy of Windows XP on your WebDT! :D

Don't proceed until I've got a plan written up! We could totally botch everything up and make your WebDT a toasted brick! Stay tuned.

So how can I help?
Coburn64

Post by Coburn64 »

Alright. Here's the plan.

If you think this is too hard for you, go torrent a copy of MicroXP, get a USB CD-ROM drive and install it. Job done. Or wait until my YouTube Tutorial arrives

Gear Needed: USB Hub, USB Keyboard (USB Mouse - optional)

Prepare a 512MB or larger USB Key: Download HP USB Format Tool and Windows 98 SE Boot Files and my own brewed DOS Files.

Install the USB Format Tool and extract the DOS Files to C:\Temp\Dos or whatever and extract my brewed DOS Files to C:\Temp\Coburn or whatever.

Launch the format tool as administrator. On this screen:
[img width=267 height=360]http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/im ... t_Tool.gif[/img]
Choose "Quick Format", "Create DOS Startup Disk", "using DOS System Files at:", and point it where you extracted the DOS Files (eg C:\TEMP\DOS).

Press Start. When complete, open up Windows Explorer and head to my files that you extracted to (C:\TEMP\COBURN) and copy them to your USB Drive. overwrite if prompted. You will now have a bootable USB drive (go test it in your WebDT). If it boots, you know it's working.

Turn off your WebDT (force shutdown - hold the power button in) and then download my Windows XP image in the page before, open it using Ghost Explorer and extract all the files to a folder called "WINXP" on your USB Drive. Boot the WebDT up with the XP files now on it and at the command prompt, you should see:

Code: Select all

Windows 98 SE 4.10.2222
MS-DOS Has Booted.

C:\>
At the C:\> prompt enter FDISK. Go through and delete all the partitions and then create a single partition using all available disk space (should be 499MB). Set the partition to be active and exit FDISK. It will either say you need to reboot or say "rebooting" blah blah. Reboot the WebDT using the 3 finger salute - CTRL + ALT + DEL - and then when your WebDT reboots back into the C Drive (USB Drive), do this:

C:\> format D: /U /S
ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK D: WILL BE LOST!
PROCEED? (Y/N?) Y
Formatting 499MB.
0%...1%...2%... etc
System Label? <enter WINXP>
Format done.
once done, do a "dir D:" and you should get a "File Not Found" message. That's good. Let's make the WebDT bootable! At the C:\ prompt, enter:

C:\> sys D:
It should say "System Transferred". (If you get "bad command or file name", you haven't copied my brewed files over. Start again.)

Now, copy over grub and co:

C:\> copy grub.exe D:\
C:\> copy menu.lst D:\
C:\> copy autoexec.grb D:\autoexec.bat
Now, copy over XP:

C:\> XCOPY /S /E C:\WINXP\*.* D:\
After the dust has settled, power off the WebDT, power it back on without your USB, and grub should load. If it does, enjoy XP. If not, go play your Wii/Xbox/PS3 for a while and wait until I have my YouTube video tutorial done.
Last edited by Coburn64 on Mon May 17, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coburn64
Linux Geek, Owner of Coburn's Domain, "Geek In The Family" Blog Owner
http://www.coburndomain.org :: http://www.geekinthefamily.com
Like my work? Please Donate!
WebDT 366 Owner
FireTime

Post by FireTime »

Hey Coburn64 thanks for all the input. That installation method looks very nice for users who have a hard fully grasping the install process. HOWEVER your gho file contains errors and I was unable to extract the files from it. Ghost explorer 11.5 crashes when it hits the system folder. Also when I use [ftp=ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_u ... plorer.exe]GHO_Explorer 2003[/ftp] it starts bouncing back CRC hash failures in the system folder, and the windows media player folder in program files. There may be more but the program quits after a few hash fails.
rainor94

Post by rainor94 »

So has anyone been able to install this image?
Astrden

Post by Astrden »

>> P.S. A russkogovoryaschie voobsche est'?)
Est' chuvak, est'
muk

Post by muk »

your boot and dos file links are broken
ralphot

Post by ralphot »

muk wrote: your boot and dos file links are broken
Why is it so difficult to supply working files and links to files??
I am also trying to install Micro XP on my dt366 but it seems like an impossible task.

I have succeeded to make a bootable usb-stick with Micro XP and it starts installation but it comes to a blue screen and stops.

Those who have succeeded, please help us all to be able to.

Ralph in Sweden
rainor94

Post by rainor94 »

ralphot wrote:
muk wrote: your boot and dos file links are broken
Why is it so difficult to supply working files and links to files??
I am also trying to install Micro XP on my dt366 but it seems like an impossible task.

I have succeeded to make a bootable usb-stick with Micro XP and it starts installation but it comes to a blue screen and stops.

Those who have succeeded, please help us all to be able to.

Ralph in Sweden

It won't work off USB. I tried and tried and kept getting blue screens. You need to use a cd or dvd drive to get it installed.
ralphot

Post by ralphot »

OK, thank you. Will try a bit more before giving up though. If I succeed I will post.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I am glad to see progress on this front  now I know why i finally stopped getting 800 messages in my inbox begging for an xp image :) keep up the good work guys.
ekestel

Post by ekestel »

please send me the link!
also , are you familiar wit han error:the port is not available:another program may be using it ,when launching ie on webdt366?
raptor_demon

Post by raptor_demon »

Hi,

looks like the links have gone dead, any chance of a repost?

Raptor
saxoto

Re: Would anyone like a ghost image of MicroXP for WebDT 366

Post by saxoto »

links not work,anyone can upload them again?
Canuckyyz

Post by Canuckyyz »

Ditto on the dead links - have been strugging for a few days getting to the point of a bootable USB / DOS stick have a bootable CD with Microxp v.82 ISO file on it just won't get up and install.
Canuckyyz

Post by Canuckyyz »

Update got it running, now sorting out drivers