Android...

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
darrenmason

Re: Android...

Post by darrenmason »

Hopefully will have something usable soon. Having more problems than I expected with the wireless networking at the moment....

If you read the other message you would have seen that I am basing the work on 1.6. Just read a seperate message from the android-x86 group that mentioned the eclair code has had the GUI performance improved.. so it may be possible to get a 2.1 version soon as well.
rperre

Post by rperre »

Just digging this back up.

I tried the live usb stick for android 1.6 on the webdt 366.

It loads fine, but touchscreen is not useable, so haven't been able to try the responsiveness, i also do not have a keyboard that i can hookup to this.

Just wondering if anybody has any pointers to how to get the touch to work or other tips?

Thanks,

Richard
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Only thing to do is discover what kernel version and again xorg server version they are putting in to that version of android. From there try to find a driver at www.penmount.com for the pcm9000 serial board that lines up with the versions. In the past I have had success emailing their tech support group asking for a driver. They told me how to modify an existing one to work for my purposes. I have tried android 2.0 snapshots with no success. USB cd-rom hangs on boo no matter what kernel parameters I pass at the boot screen. May try again soon.

quotaholic
darrenmason

Post by darrenmason »

Hi,

Android does not use X so the penmount drivers are no good.

I got this working by using the serial driver that is part of the kernel. There was a couple of issues with this but it works.
The kernel needs to be built with the penmount module and this has to bound to a serial port. There is a utility called inputattach that does this.

When the kernel module is loaded and inputattach is run at startup this gives you a /dev/input device is available and android uses this. Calibration is picked up from the calibration done with the tslib stuff - but I don't think Android uses tslib itself (could be wrong here)

I also had to change the source of the kernel penmount driver slightly as it seemed to have a couple of parameters reversed. I am not sure if this is a bug with the driver or a bug with the way the penmount chip is wired up in webdt's.

With that all done it works under android and I have had it running quite well on the webdt.

Where I struggled (and why I have left it at the moment) is getting networking to work reliably. The only time I have got a network connection that worked properly is with my phone tethered to it. I could not get a pcmcia solution (wired or unwired) to work.

I think there is a problem with sound as well.

Regards
Darren
rperre

Post by rperre »

Darren,

Anything useable i can test, i have 2 of these things and i think you know what i want to run on them :P

Richard
darrenmason

Post by darrenmason »

Richard,

What network card do they have in them? Will see if I can put a usable image together. No promises though...

Regards
Darren
webD

Post by webD »

I would love to see this work I have a DT369 that has the 1G processer.
I really want android on this. I have XP running on it now.
Mark
rperre

Post by rperre »

darrenmason wrote: Richard,

What network card do they have in them? Will see if I can put a usable image together. No promises though...

Regards
Darren
Darren,

I have the CISCO aironet 350 in mine "AIR-PCM350"

Have you tried any more on this?

Richard