Untested installer theory

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
serialjoepsycho

Untested installer theory

Post by serialjoepsycho »

you can take an installer iso decompress it replace the files with your own and then it will install. Rules to test the theory: The iso used must be the same as the os you are going to replace the files with. The names of the files must be exactly the same as the ones that they replace. The theory is that every file on the installer cd is availible on an installed system. Do not add files to the installer cd that do not exist on it. When you have done this  turn it into an iso again and and test it out in vm or virtualbox or what ever.

We have some special nimblex 2009 files that could be used that were verified as working so download the nimblex 2008 iso decompress it and replace those files with the nimblex 2009 files.

Any thoughts? I'll test it later or if you test post your results here.
Last edited by serialjoepsycho on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Untested installer theory

Post by volkswagner »

I'm not sure  I follow.  What are you trying to accomplish?  If the files must match the original .iso what files will you be replacing?
Last edited by volkswagner on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
serialjoepsycho

The files I mean basically is they have to have the same name and you can't mix and max distros. You need a debian installer for debian files. popping nimblex files unto a debian installer likely won't work.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

OK.

Debian has an installer that works fine on the WebDT...Why would I need to modify the .iso with another Debian file?

So my question is, what distro has an installer that does not work?

For the installer that does not work, what files would you replace?
serialjoepsycho

I really don't know much about debian and it's installer to be honest here. I've never really messed with debian. I know Ubuntu don't work. I did test it out with Nimblex. I replaced the files we have here on here for the nimblex 2009 with a nimblex 2008 ISO. I just placed the files that are available from the nimblex 2009 with the files on the nimblex 2008 200mb iso. I only replaced the files on the 2008 from the 2009 if they already existed on the 2008 any other files extra I left out. That I then compressed into an ISO. I tested it on Virtual box and it loaded through live cd mode. I did load it to a usb using unetbootin. Basically I put intrid.gz or what ever, wmlinux or what ever, and the few other nimblex 2009 files on nimblex 2008 simply replacing the files on it and leaving out any of the 2009 files that aren't already on 2008. It does load up. In the end it will do one of 4 things. 1 not install.
2 install but not have any of the dt drivers that usually aren't on nimblex. 3 install and have the drivers but aren't configured. 4 it will all work.
serialjoepsycho

Basically An ISO an linux installer cd is already coded out with what to do but there are compatible files on a hdd installed linux (or that's the thought) and you can replace those with the files on the ISO. Those compatible files would have to be renamed to what ever the files they are replacing are named. you place a file on the iso if it isn't already there basically. Anyway that was the idea. It seems i've outworn my welcome so I am going to float.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Much easier method

Post by quotaholic »

Someone with more time than I should look at these links. It tells all one needs to know about the debian installer and the methods needed to make multiple bootable mediums. USB and CD and Netboot.

http://www.digitalsanctum.com/2007/01/26/how-to-make-an-iso-image-using-dd/

The above link will tell how to make an iso out of a dd image. For an existing dd image simply mount the image in loopback then use the contents of the /mnt folder for the root directory.

http://blogs.koolwal.net/2009/02/25/installing-linux-on-usb-part-7-install-debian-linux-from-usb-drive/

and a how to on the debain installer.

This should be ten times easier than fussing with reverse engineering an operating system that was built on a fat 32 file system, eg nimblex.
serialjoepsycho

first I'd say by barely taking anytime or effort that the first link tells you how use dd to copy a cd /dvd. which kind of makes the second one not as useful but of course I could be wrong.

you could set up the usb with the image and probably use debootstrap to install it but why do that when you can simply dd the image over to the hdd. The thought and idea here is to make an easyway or easier way or a more natural way for non technical users to install linux on their webdts. Though that's sounds sacrilegious to linux elite it is one of the major factors that keep linux users at low numbers.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

It may be a little scary, but no means is it difficult.  The directions are clear and very little typing is required.  When compared to actually installing Debain (several hours and lots of commands) vs running the live cd and dd via the  directions, it's a piece of cake for any novice computer users.  Anyone that can follow directions, and has necessary hardware can do it.  If anyone  runs into an issue, this forum is a great place to ask a question.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.
serialjoepsycho

Yes it's easy enough for some one with a medium experience in computing. For those it's harder for they do have this forum. It could be easier. It could be made easier. Maintaining the status quo serves no purpose. If the status quo was maintained you wouldn't be installing linux on anything in the first place.Stallman challenged it, and then torvalds jumped in and a free os pops up. Patrick Volkerding and Ian Murdock where dissatisfied by SLS and now we have Slackware and debian. Slax is based off slackware. You use slackware as an installer. Some of the distros for this webdt are debian based. This site is either here as a tool to help users with webdts or for select people to feel 1337.

an easier way to install it has come. The puppy linux method. From their where does it go?

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.