100% Working NimbleX on the WebDT366

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
NateTheGreat555

Re: 100% Working NimbleX on the WebDT366

Post by NateTheGreat555 »

Yes, if anyone happens to still have that .zip file from the original post, would you be so kind as to repost it to a site like MegaUpload? They don't seem to ever delete anyone's uploads, member or not.

Thanks!

Also, what happened to the Youtube videos? I finally have time to look at them and they have been removed!
weibleneurb

100 Working NimbleX on the WebDT366

Post by weibleneurb »

Got my first Linux up and running.. Can anyone tell me how to get me modem and sound working? Modem is a zyxel 630-11 and sound is audigy 2 zs. Im prbably going to have more hardware problems but these are the two immediate ones.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Can you tell us more about what you installed and how it was installed and where it was installed? I am assuming that, since you are posting in the this thread that you installed Fleegmans brew of NimbleX to the hard drive of your DT366?
radko0

Post by radko0 »

Please WEBDT_LINUX_CUSTOM.ZIP about this file on a server
BlueManRising

Post by BlueManRising »

Can Someone please post the WEBDT_LINUX_CUSTOM.ZIP again.. the user apparently deleted all of his linked files or they were removed.  PLEASE!!!!
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Running an operating system from USB is extremely slow on the webdt due to usb 1.1. I would rather walk anyone through installing an optimized image versus Nimblex on a usb stick.

If anyone had the files that Fleegman posted I would have hosted them along with the other images on filefactory. Since this post has gone this long without anyone indicating the files still exist please let me make the offer to help in any way I can to walk you through transferring an image to your tablet. Please let me know if I can be of help.

quotaholic
DexS

Post by DexS »

BlueManRising wrote: Can Someone please post the WEBDT_LINUX_CUSTOM.ZIP again.. the user apparently deleted all of his linked files or they were removed.  PLEASE!!!!
+1
please post again..
Very need.
PLEASE!!!
NateTheGreat555

DexS wrote:
BlueManRising wrote: Can Someone please post the WEBDT_LINUX_CUSTOM.ZIP again.. the user apparently deleted all of his linked files or they were removed.  PLEASE!!!!
+1
please post again..
Very need.
PLEASE!!!
+2!
My friend got an alternate working, but it wasn't as good as this one looked!
Pretty please?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I have sent a couple of emails to Feegman asking him to forward me the files everyone here is requesting. As I have not heard from him since his last post, over six months ago, I will be removing this thread soon so that people dont experience more failed expectations. Based on hs lack of response I can only conclude that the files no longer exist.

The flip side to Fleegmans linux build is that it was just about the slowest possible way to enjoy linux on your DT. USB 1.1 speed from a usb drive is a sure way to get a negative impression. I would urge people that wish to try linux to use any of the other images available here. Later tonight I will post a "how to" video on youtube showing how to use the dd command with a live linux image (basically the same as ghosting) to show that it is not a difficult thing to do. I will link it here and in the FAQ section.

Edit: Fell asleep last night on the couch with laptop open. Still have much to do on reorganizing the forum. I am downloading an old version on mini-knoppix currently and will make a video today showing the backing up of ones original os and then the transfer in of a linux image.

If you wish to try linux on your DT without effecting the internal flash drive simply burn a live image to a disk or look in to unetbootin and with a usb hub connect a keyboard and your live image and boot your DT to it setting usb as the top boot priority in the bios. I have had luck in the past with linux distributions, elive and nimblex in live cd form. Other members have had luck with knoppix.

Bogdan the developer of nimblex made a image for the DT however it only works from a usb thumbdrive. It is not installable. His image is many times easier to install on a usb drive than Fleegmans was. I urge those wary of learning the dd command (quite simple actually) to look in to this post:

forum/viewtopic.php?p=599#p599

There are instructions in the archive linked at the bottom of the post on how to set up on a usb drive.

If you deem the tutorials to be too difficult please pm me and I will set up with you a way to mail your tablet to me and I will put the image of your choice on your tablet and mail it back to you. Nimblex, again, is not installable so that is the only exception.

Former member Angrymeat had a way of taking one of my images and making it in to a ghost file. As I don't use windows I am not capable of this however if any ghosting experts exist out there may I ask you to please share your expertise on this subject?

Thank you for your cooperation. I apologize that Fleegman is not responding to my messages nor sharing these files. I will leave this message up for a week letting onlookers know about the situation of the files no longer being in existence.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
NateTheGreat555

Thanks quotaholic, I may be interested. For some reason I thought it would be installable to the onboard flash.

My friend and myself (trmptplyr) are fairly decent with creating .gho files. It's not that difficult, and I'm sure that we could throw together a little how-to. It's much easier when it comes to switching OSes...
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Don't loose hope.  I believe I have an .img (via dd command) of a thumb drive I made from Fleegmans how-to.  We will still need to edit or move the thread, but all should not be lost.  Give me a few days to sort through the mess of scattered files I have.  :o
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks for the support guys! I want to make things easy but I lack the knowledge of how to make an installable image. Something I need to work on.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

radko0 wrote: Please WEBDT_LINUX_CUSTOM.ZIP about this file on a server
DexS wrote: +1
please post again..
Very need.
PLEASE!!!
NateTheGreat555 wrote: +2!
My friend got an alternate working, but it wasn't as good as this one looked!
Pretty please?
OK folks, I could not find the original .zip in question.  What I can provide is a complete image of the finished product.  The instructions at the beginning of this thread don't apply.  This is a .zip, included are the md5sum and the actual .img.

Please use Linux dd command a apply this to a formated (fat 16 & set to bootable) USB drive of 400MB or greater.  The readme says 256, but the image was created from a 400MB partition.

Use the standard dd instuctions forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

The above instructions need to be modified, as this can be run from your regular PC running Linux or from your Live CD/USB of choice.

Nimlex.img link

Enjoy!

I really need to get more experience with creating a torrent.  With this community, and so many large files, torrents make most sense.  The downloads will be faster and more accurate!
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

WOW... downloading now, i'm glad i took the time putting that bootable linux thumb drive together. Thanks for the .img, man... i'd almost given up on nimblex... :-)

if possible, i'm going to check out what the original.zip was supposed to contain and if possible, try to reconstruct it using this image on my DT... idk how it'll work but i'll see if it can be done..

-trmptplyr
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thank you for this Volkswagner! Very nice of you to host as well. I will download and seed this tonight as torrents are my friends.

quotaholic