Is there a forum for WebDT 325 ?

simonk1969

Is there a forum for WebDT 325 ?

Post by simonk1969 »

The Subject says it all really !

I've just purcahsed a WebDT 325 off ebay just to use as a simple touchscreen for Home Automation with HomeSeer and HSTouch.  I've never had anything to do with these devices before and was wondering if there was a forum that dealt with the 325 as I am aware that this forum is for the 366.

I want to find out if I can put a version of xp on it and would I need to update/upgrade anything on it ?

Thanks for reading my first post  ;D
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is there a forum for WebDT 325 ?

Post by quotaholic »

Welcome to WebDT.org!

No, we do not have a dt325 forum as of yet. To be honest I didnt know the model existed. As I work in the home automation field I am curious to know more and to see your progress in setting your DT up for your application. If you throw me as much information as possible about the unit I will make a section for it. If it is very similar to the other hardware we know here it shouldnt be too hard to get that DT set up.

Thanks and welcome
quotaholic
simonk1969

Post by simonk1969 »

Th link below opens a pdf document with details and specs of the 325, this is about all I've managed to find on this model !

http://dtri.sg1002.myweb.hinet.net/pdf/webdt325.pdf

I bought this cheap off eBay as I thought I could use it for a Home Automation project use HomeSeer and the HSTouch software so that it can be used as a Touch Screen to control varies things around the house.  HSTouch provides a Windows, Linux and Windows CE client.  It is the CE client that I woul like to put on this device but am currently coming across some problems as the device has CE 3 installed which I am being advised doesn't have .net built in ?  So I'm looking to either update the CE version or maybe even tinyxp or something.

I'm really new to Windows CE and Linux so any input and advise would be appreciated.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

First thing I would do is get a hardware report completed so that we can understand what hardware your dt is running on. Based on the PDF you linked it is geode based and it has 32mb of flash and 128mb of system ram. The PDF also loosly mentions .net. All folks who I have talked with say that they could not get .net on a XPe image due to the limits of the 512mb card we have in the DT366. Have not talked with anyone on TinyXP.

CE that is on these is not going to be compatible with much. We find CE existing on a variety of things like harmony remote controls to industrial interfaces like the DT. Depending on the needs of homeseer and hstouch you may need to upgrade your storage to fit the host os. That 128mb of ram will be very limiting as many gui based applications need more than that. Knowing that homeseer needs a separate server have you considered LinuxMCE?

I dont touch windows unless someone is paying me to. I will be of no help to you on that front. A live linux disc that runs from an external cdrom can help you in determining the hardware at hand. If that pdf is accurate you may be better off with something that has more ram and more flash space. Ram is not upgradable in the 366 but flash is. Not sure on the 325. A series of pictures of the unit taken apart may help too.
simonk1969

Post by simonk1969 »

I've just put this one back up on ebay and purchased the WedDT 366 with XP, I beleive I should to able to do what I require with the 366.

Thanks for your help and advice anyway !