new toy

This is the board for topics that dont fit elsewhere in the DT360 board
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

new toy

Post by quotaholic »

Got a DT360 yesterday. What I found interesting was that I spent all day yesterday trying to get debian to boot with no success. It was like the ubuntu syndrome all over. No matter what kernel argument I threw at the boot line all I could get were broken graphics.

Then it dawned. Try ubuntu. Just rebooted from installing jaunty alternate i386. Mind you I have a 1gb card but in text mode with x11 and python installed I saw 437548 upon a df. Telling apt to clean up some gets me 382816. This looks very promising. Once I get a working touchscreen and wireless I will post again.

There are noticeable differences in both quality and in performance between the 360 and 366. I hope to post some actual differences soon.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: new toy

Post by quotaholic »

Slight miscalculation. Although I thought I saw x11-common and the likes go in on initial install the previous numbers did not include all of the xservers packages. I now have all of x11, wicd, e17, mc, localepurge and penmount installed. Disk usage is 530768.

I did try crunchbang linux lite just before trying ubuntu 904 alternate. Not enough room for crunchbang as it needed ~1.3gb. I think if someone had to they could get a web browser on top of fluxbox and fit it within a 500 meg chip but there will be little room for browser cache.

Considering the bus speed of the 360 sym links to a good quality cf card will open the doors on drive limits on the 360. The drive has been fomatted ext4 with no atime and responsiveness is amazing. I am on an external usb wifi card and watching apt update is now a fast experience. Have to order a replacement to the mini pci e card that came with it.

Oh and the biggest smile so far was that the xserver-xorg-video-geode driver works on the LX800 hardware. Gradients are once again smooth! Video testing will commence tomorrow.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Phew, I was getting nervous at all the acpi errors I was seeing on boot. Not really errors but no acpi services was more like it. After adding a number of apm, pci and acpi utilities I can confirm buttons will work on the dt360. I just established a basic response from button presses. I had no bluetooth devices until I added these utilities as well. Interesting. This is going to be a late night.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

At 2am I had to reinstall everything. Lost my gui and could not diagnose. This happened just after installing blueman and rebooting. The first attempt installing "--without-recommends" did not give me a working application. So I installed with "recommends" and it worked. However I lost a gui on reboot.

Hard to diagnose as I am installing a ton of stuff building away. I can say that ACPI is not as supported on the 360. I had to throw a "acpi=force" at the grub boot line to get some basic things working. Now I have a button controller I can see and get response from as well as a visible bluetooth chip. This was also hidden until acpi was forced. There is no mention of a via padlock on the 360. The 366 had mention of a via padlock each init. Hmm.

Tried out bluesoleil as I am running ubuntu. No dice. I'll count my ducks on blueman later today making sure I have all the deps met. The solitaire game in e17 has smooth graphics and it does not studder. On a fresh boot firefox opens in 15 seconds, roughtly half the time as on a 366. I dont see a screen wipe when x starts either.

Hdparm results of "sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda" are ;
Timing cached reads: 194 MB in 2.01 seconds = 96.51MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 30 MB in 3.05 seconds = 9.83 MB/sec
This was performed with E17 running, xterm open and wicd all running on plug power.

Be back once I get audio and video up.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Well the last post was a result of being too tired to know any better. I had actually borked my xsession file and didnt realize it.

As of right now I have jaunty up with e17. Penmount touchscreen is working and let me say their driver / calibration gets better and better each release. Buttons and directional pad also work. Bluetooth hardware is working and blueman bluetooth manager is doing a good job of handling it.

Elitaire is a card game that works great on the 360. Xvkbd and Matchbox-keyboard are installed. Once I learn how to configure matchbox keyboard xvkbd will leave. Firefox and audaciious are installed. Audacious is not tested but I have goals to get audio over bluetooth working.

Leafpad for editing and wicd version 1..6.1 is in here. 1.6 comes with an ncurses interface allowing us to configure wireless from console. Awesome! Xournal works much better than on a 366 and is currently installed. A new program called gigolo keeps track of all my logins on all my shared folders and drives across my network.

And finally I have just built bluemaho. A bluetooth penetration testing suite. I live with a cell phone tech so that one is natural. As it took every development library from python to gtk and build tools in between I am hogging lots of space on my 1 gig drive to hold bluemaho. I may end up launching it to make way for vlc, ebook and pfd apps. Time will tell. All in all so far two thumbs up on the DT 360.
DT_Fan

Post by DT_Fan »

Hi, i also bought dt360 and its nice to see you got it working so far.
Will you post a short howto or possibly even a image??? That would be nice� ;D
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hey DT_Fan,

Until I figure out things like auto login to tty1 and for the user I hesitate to offer this image. Still lots to do for usability sake. How to's to this point are easy though. As I am on a 1gb flash drive using a network mirror is not as much of a concern.

Insert Jaunty alternate iso in to external disk drive and boot the dt to it.

Select english and press F4 for modes.

Select text install and press enter.

Set up partition as one large partition, I used ext4 and opted for noatime within mounting options

Installed base system. Reboot.

At this point I manually installed wicd 1.6.1. As it has a curses interface it is perfect for getting internet up on a minimal install. Wicd needed newer python support and pyton urwid packages. Ubuntu offers both in the karmic repo and they installed fine on jaunty. I manually transferred the packages in on a cf card and issued a "sudo dpkg -i package.deb" to install them. Many things will be broken after issuing command to install wicd. Fix deps with;

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get -f install
The repair process sometimes removes wicd in order to install more deps. If apt removes it and forgets to put it back in place simply install it again. sudo dpkg -i wicd_1.6-1____.deb

Ok now you have a minimal ubuntu jaunty install with working internet (as long as you are using a supported external usb wifi nic.) Sudo apt-get clean should get you around 382 and some change for disk usage.

Now to get a gui.

sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-geode
will bring in most of x.

sudo aptitude install xinit xauth
will give us something we can start.

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
add

deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/ubuntu jaunty main extras

and

sudo aptoget update

sudo aptitude install e17
Will get you a lightweight window manager.

Bluetooth,

www.blueman-project.org is the site you need. Since they are a ppa we need to tell apt its ok to install from there by including a key.

sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 0x947c4f7371932c794b153f0f6b15ab91951dc1e2
Should import their key. I had to type this out manually looking at the status bar of my browser. Hopefully this works for you.

Next add the apt source with

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and add:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/blueman/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Blueman is laden with deps. More so gnome deps. Eww. Its funny but half the packages blueman wanted to install get lost down the road so let it grab the 100 megs or so that it wants. I had to install three times before Ii had one that worked. On the last one I put build-essential in as well.

When blueman did install it took out wicd in the process. Network manager could not connect to any networks so ....

sudo apt-get remove nn
it was either nm or network-manager from memory.

and repeat wicd install steps.

I also installed the solitaire game and some e modules:

sudo aptitude install elitaire emodule-cpu emodule-mem emodule-wlan
From here it will be easy to customize system to your liking. Currently audacious music player is well supported and documented under bluez wiki for playing music to bluetooth devices. I suggest installing "without recommends".

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends audacious
This will save lots of space.

Also sudo aptitude install gigolo xtightvncviewer quicksynergy ganyremote rdesktop

are a few others I am playing with.

Make suree to apt-get clean now and again. Also installing localepurge helped out too for saving space.

Buttons

You will need to sudo apt-cache search pci
and
sudo apt-cache search acpi

I am not sure which of these are or are not needed
libpci pciutils discover-data acpi acpi-support
but I installed them all and then some.

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
find the line that has the default boot command and add this to the end:

acpi=force
Without doing so acpi never loads and we will never get things like working buttons or battery meters.

I followed my own tutorial on making a .Xmodmap file in the lxde1.2 thread. The part I am stuck on is making this stick on boot. For now I open xterm after boot and type:

xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
only after making the /home/webdt/.Xmodmap file and associating the correct permissions.

Now one can go in to the input settings within e17 and associate key bindings to button presses.

Throughout these instructions you may have to repair apt with the apt-get -f install command. Most of this is from memory and I am in hopes that it is accurate enough to follow for instructions. For bluemaho you are on your own. I am not sure it is working right on mine as of yet. Please let me know if I missed anything or left anything out.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by quotaholic on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DT_Fan

Post by DT_Fan »

Wow,  :o that was a really fast  -thanks.
I try out asap, hope i find some time this weekend and i will report if it worked...
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Let me know when you do I will try to be on chat in case you need help with anything.

In the mean time I got autostart and buttons scripted on boot.

To do this:

sudo nano /etc/event.d/tty1
change
exec /sbin/getty 38400 tty1
to:

exec /bin/login -f webdt </dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1
and save

This is for a user named "webdt". Change webdt to your username if different.

Now:

sudo nano ~/.profile
add to the end:

case "`tty`" in 
/dev/tty1) clear && startx &>/dev/null;;
esac
save

and finally

sudo nano /etc/X11/Xsession
in the top lines find the line:

"set -e

PROGRAMNAME=Xsession"
and insert this after

if [ -f  $HOME/.Xmodmap ]; then
            /usr/bin/xmodmap $HOME/.Xmodmap
         fi
As long as your Xmodmap file is executable you should have a gui on reboot as well as working buttons. Find a xmodmap tutirial on page three of the lxde 1.2 thread. Once you have a /home/webdt/.Xmodmap file made simply look in the settings window and at the input sections. Key bindings will give you ways to tie button presses to events and commands.

Next goal, splash screen.
Last edited by quotaholic on Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Ordered a 20 dollar mini pci-e wifi card yesterday. If that is all it takes to get wifi working under linux I will post a link to it as well as release two images. One geared towards wireless tools and one towards portable usability. Lets keep the fingers crossed. I chose a card that utilizes the ath5k driver so hopefully no funny stuff like ndis or kerrnel patching should be needed. I will post again on this thread upon that test. If it works I will start a new DT360 section keeping it seperate from the 366 topic that we are currently in. If this atheros card does not work I will try for a rt based solution as my rt2500usb nic is working great right now.

quotaholic