OziExplorer DT375 and DT366

If you have a posted video online or a website that shows how you are using your WebDT, by all means, please show it off! WebDT reserves the right to remove content that is not in line with the goas of webdt.org or videos that are not in good taste.
rc211e

OziExplorer DT375 and DT366

Post by rc211e »

Hi All
I had a DT 375 running OziExplorer beautifully as an incar 4x4 navigation system via CF GPS in the PCMCIA slot and a 16gig CF card full of maps. Unfortunately an over enthusiastic electronics store person fritzed the 375 while I was trying to get a 12volt car adaptor for it. (Note to self - buy genuine car adaptor)

Easy I thought I will get a 366 - more modern - CE 5.0 would be better than 4.2 and so on.

I have the 366 now but it's not so simple. Ozi won't run the way it did on the 375. I don't really understand why but I am guessing it might be the processor. Any help gratefully accepted.

I have a little knowledge but mostly I am stuck on CE devices. I am a bit of a gadget freak though I have an Acer tablet PC, a bunch of PDAs, 3 or 4 GPSs, a Nokia N95, a Crackberry, a DS and even an iphone. I travel a lot so I love small stuff.

The 366 appears to be a much more integrated device than the 375. Bluetooth works, the wireless card works a treat but apart from checking email and web browsing what can I do with this nice piece of technology?

Anyone able to help with how you get apps running under CE 5.0?
Last edited by rc211e on Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rc211e

Re: OziExplorer DT375 and DT366

Post by rc211e »

So the problem with Ozi looks pretty much like it needs to be compiled for an x86 processor. I vaguely know the author so I am thinking of writing to him and asking if he would consider compiling a x86 version. Is anyone else here an Ozi user?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Your 375 has an intel xscale cpu and your 366 has an amd x86 cpu. Your right on with the compilation necessity. That needs to be part of the build process for the software in question. CE5 on the 366 was designed to service the industrial / commercial communities. Its functions are few apart from wireless thin client.

Some of us have burn in on our screens from targets inventory system interface. My first DT had a .navy address in the air cards settings. In thin client form these saw many applications. I first ran in to a DT in a 28,000 square foot home acting as a controller for home automation. Some here are already utilizing the DT in this capacity. Others are hacking these in to their own entertainment systems for some level of control. Car computers is also a popular subject.

Regardless though the CE5 that comes on the DT366 is LIMITED. Not all CE is the same. Dont expect much. At all. The culmination of software mentioned here for CE 5 is all that we could find.

I started this site with the idea of running a linux based system on these. Currently there are lots on linux images available that will allow you some bluetooth functions, allow one to use different wireless cards, Play music, Read ebooks, pdf's, and control other devices. On the last image I made solitare was included. I have spent a fair amount of time laying over in the admirals club. Although bigger than most of your devices these can offer web, document and game function on a interface you can rest on the meal table in the plane without squinting at it. That and they are durable and lay very flat. Ideal for a top zipper compartment on the carry on baggage.

Lots of good minds here. Dont hesitate to ask questions. As for what you can do with them. Well that is only limited by ones imagination. The most creative use I have heard of so far is to control music production, wireless, through a custom gui. Kind of like this:
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2004/11/30/touchscreen-music-controller-reveals-star-trek-like-future/

The possibilities are almost unlimited.

As for OZI. The DT366 only has usb 1.1. This also is the speed of the CF slot as its tied to the usb bus. Not a very fast i/o bus. That may effect the function of the application. May be worth running by your contact. On a larger chip than the stock 500meg chip I can fit a full featured bluetooth suite that may allow you to tether to a gps. Just a thought.

quotaholic
azcaddman

Post by azcaddman »

re:ozi -- It runs fine on 366, I just couldnt get it to talk to the BT gps (just email support at ozi-explorer.com, and they'll email you back a version compiled for the x86 processor.. they sent mine in under 24 hrs).  at some point in the 'playing' with it, I wiped the boot partition.

currently, I'm running microxp on it, and the 'full' desdktop version of ozi explorer, an iogear BT dongle, and it works fine with both the BT gps, and a wired usb Garmin gps.  The comms to the gps are at 4800 baud. USB 1.1 is plenty fast for it.

the desktop version offers a LOT more than the ce, and performance isn't too bad, sure the map hesitates occasionaly when it scrolls, but its not a big deal.  Mine is mounted to the roll bar of my jeep, with a 32gb cf card, 3/4 full of topo/quad maps, and level 18-21 data for my area from google earth.

The only downside I've found so far, is that I can't get the screen brightness to work.  under ozi you can set it to 100-75-50-25, but it's not the same.
rc211e

Post by rc211e »

Thanks quotaholic and azcaddman you have saved me months of poking about trying to figure this stuff for myself.

quotaholic I agree with you about this little device it has its limitations but it has its uses as well. The 366 eats the 375 when it comes to general stability and ease of use. If I can get reliable email and Internet (that's working already) a simple word processor and Ozi explorer working I will be extremely pleased.

Looks like I need to study all the hardware and operating system discussions so I can figure out the best solution for me.

azcaddman I live in Australia and am a Suzuki fan so I have less cabin space than a Jeep so I am always looking for small effective mapping solutions for offroad use. I started with a Toshiba Libretto and a serial linked GPS� and an early version of Ozi back last centuary. A few of my friends have tried running Toughbooks and Asus webpads but I really like the idea of a ruggarised tablet and at under 2lbs its light enough too. I will write to Ozi and see if I can get the latest CE version and test it with my CF GPS. I really like the heads up feature. If that doesn't work its time to study the forum in more detail.

Fantastic resource quotaholic, I look forward to being a contributor
Last edited by rc211e on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcaddman

Post by azcaddman »

I was using a HP310 gps (4.3" screen, 800x480 res, wince), but found the screen too small (nope, it's not that I'm getting old  ;D )
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I happily eat my foot on this one. Its real nice to hear about a software company that has good customer service.
rc211e

Post by rc211e »

Well thanks to Ozi and azcaddman I have OziExplorer working on 366 under CE but for some reason I am getting port in use message with CF GPS. It worked fine on 375. Maybe I am missing something?

Anyone had any luck with a cfgps under CE 5.0

azcaddman it looks like i might have to look at microxp too.
Last edited by rc211e on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rc211e

Post by rc211e »

:D
Very pleased! Thanks to this forum I have Ozi and the in built bluetooth working under CE 5.0. I will give it all a road test on the weekend. Thanks!

More details here forum/viewtopic.php?t=2.msg1227#new

Tested bluetooth modem and Ozi today including course up maps and it worked very well performance was good, a couple of tiny glitches with 3d displays but thats all. Making a vehicle mount tomorrow.
Last edited by rc211e on Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
rc211e

Post by rc211e »

Posting from my DT while relaxing in front of TV on Saturday night.

Took a drive today and hooked up DT with an improvised bracket and an inverter and it worked a treat.

Are inverters an ok way to power these devices incar or do you need an auto adaptor?

A few of my friends are keen to go down the Ozi - DT366 path too, is there any advantage in a 360?