Debian-Sid E17 image for the DT

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
benteam

Re: Debian-Sid E17 image for the DT

Post by benteam »

hi guys,
i installed the latest image on my dt366 and wifi seems to be  a big issue,
i reed all the posts and i see people saying that the problem with the wifi is the fact that the WICD recognizes the wifi0 instead of the eth0 is why the wifi doesnt work, i tried to change the settings on the wicd from wifi0 to eth0 and no go, when i open the wicd it is extremly slow and when i click properties it opens the properties window but sometimes it shows the data and sometimes don�t, the times it shows the data I see it says wifi0  on the wireless adapter field but I can�t change it, i dont know if it is suppose to be changed here or if the program is so Hunged that it doesnt let me change it, I also tried restartig the /etc/init.d/wicd but the logs on /var/logs/wicd/wicd.log keeps showing that it selects the wifi0 instead of the eth0, i tried putting the wifi0 down with  ifconfig wifi0 down and restarting the wicd service no go,  how do i change this from wifi0  to eth0???  is there any hidden config file i can edit?
i also removed the wifi card and installed a wired card to see if i could connect to the internet however it recognizes the card it gets no IP, 
who manages the dhcp client on this OS  the wicd or the OS??

i�ll appreciate if somebody can give me some ideas on how to change that.

kind regards
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Sorry your having troubles,

A few things that we went through to get the previous posters system up.

One of which did not get mentioned as I know.  It took place on chat. We purged the original version of wicd.

Yes you are correct it does get pretty deep rooted and it does go for wlan0 out of the box. Sorry for that I am not sure what to erase to eliminate this frustration.

I installed an old version by accident. If you purge it, then install it manually you should be ok. At least the previous poster was able to switch that version (1.6_) over to eth0. Hopefully its that simple for you as well.

Wicd does root deeply. Its about the only network manager I can find that works well. Modprobe is whats killing the cpu as its looking for my wireless g card that I was using when I imaged this os. Wish I knew what to erase........

Another thought is to reboot with your card out twice. For some reason I see that a couple reboots sometimes is needed to clear out a hiccup. Try starting wicd then to see if you can switch the hardware preferences. Either that or try the lenny e17 image out.

quotaholic
akhileshss

Post by akhileshss »

quatoholic, the new version just gave me the curses interface... so i could run it in console.

but during my experimentation, i had screwed up the system and had to start afresh from this image again. on this try, i did not upgrade my wicd. i used the old wicd you had and pointed it to eth0. no problem since then and wifi worked.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

It seems this is a rare image. I didnt realise this until just recently but debian is no longer using the 2.6.29 kernel. They have moved up to 2.6.30-1 thus breaking penmount. It is no longer possible to build upon sid for the DT. At least until penmount supports 2.6.30. Is anyone more capable than I in being able to mount this image in loopback in order to extract the kernel? Looking around I am not finding many distro that are using 2.6.29 that support 486 hardware. It would be nice to grab the kernel from this image to use on others.