Not using for what I want. (yet, hopefully)

If you have a posted video online or a website that shows how you are using your WebDT, by all means, please show it off! WebDT reserves the right to remove content that is not in line with the goas of webdt.org or videos that are not in good taste.
marcelo

Not using for what I want. (yet, hopefully)

Post by marcelo »

Ok, it's time for the first post.  8)

I will try to make this short.  I'm going on my third semester of college, and the past two I was taking my regular notebook to classes, a 14.1" Satellite.  I've been using Microsoft's OneNote, and it is one really good note taking piece of software, but without the tablet ability to write on the screen,  I felt a little cheated on, since I wasn't using the app to its fullest. 
  As a student (meaning short on money), I was trying to hunt for an eBay bargain on a tablet, untill I landed my eyes on the DT 366.  I saw that some of these ran on XPe, so I figured I could simply buy one, load XP, then OneNote, and with the help of a 8gb usb drive or a CF card, I'd be set to go.  I think you guys are getting the picture.
  So this whoooooole week I've been on a hunt for apps for my DT's Windows CE 5.0, and I could get  NOT 1 single app to install or run correctly (.cab, .exe, even renaming those back and forth, changing to read only, you name it, I did it all;  still there's the possibility I missed something in the process). 
  I got a couple installed, but they wouldn't run.  Research showed that the problem could be the framework, or the lack of java.  I am not sure about what framework comes on CE 5.0 (and trust me, I looked), and I didn't see the checkbox to able/disable java on the internet advanced settings, so my guess is that it does not have it.  Since I wasn't sure, I did try to install both of them,  and not even those I could succesfully install, always getting the "not a CE application" error message.

So yeah,  I wanted, or rather, really still do want to use my DT 366 to take it to school and use it fully as a paper notebook replacement.  If I could get CourseProPocket Notes (which I can't find anywhere with a downloadable link), read PDFs, a calendar and a battery meter, I'd be a very happy man right now. =) 
  My classes start monday, so all the help will be highly appreciated. lol
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Not using for what I want. (yet, hopefully)

Post by quotaholic »

Well its not one note but its a close clone:

http://xournal.sourceforge.net/

I have it on a couple of the linux images I have made here. Anything with e17 as the window manager will have a battery meter too. Not windows however it may rove to be useful for your application.

quotaolic
marcelo

Post by marcelo »

No luck installing this one either.  :'(  I guess I'll have to go with XPe...
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

For windows you would need to try Jarnal. Xournal is a linux only as far as I know. The only bad thing about Jarnal is that it relies on Java. On the DT360 the draw action happens fairly quickly on Xournal. Almost usable. On a 366 one can wait for a bit for the line to show up after the stoke is made. I wouldnt want to try it with Java weighing things down too. Worth following through on though.
marcelo

Post by marcelo »

Has anyone here installed a note taking application/software succesfully on Windows CE?