Things you want to know about the WebDT 366, but were too lazy to search for.

This site was created for webdt owners to converge, share and talk about their webdt's
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Things you want to know about the WebDT 366, but were too lazy to search for.

Post by Foxx »

Q: Can I boot from the Compact Flash Card?
A: Nope

Q: What operating systems will run?
A: Anything that supports an x86 CPU

Q: How fast is the CPU?
A: 400Mhz AMD Geode

Q: Can the CPU be upgraded?
A: No.

Q: How much RAM, and how fast?
A: 256MB, DDR 266Mhz.

Q: Can the RAM be upgraded?
A: Theoretically no, they are affixed to the motherboard and not designed to be removed without major surgery.

Q: How well does Windows XP / XP Embedded run?
A: Not very well, unless you do severe optimizations. Even then it is still sluggish.

Q: How well does Linux run?
A: That's a broad answer, it depends on the distribution, and specific tasks it will do. But in general, yes, and typically better than windows if its built and installed properly

Q: How about Ubuntu?
A: No, and you should think about suicide for even asking.

Q: Debian, Slackware, Puppy, DamnSmall Linux?
A: All good choices!

Q: Touchscreen support?
A: XP has full touchscreen support. Nimblex, Slackware, Debian, and Puppy linux have Penmount Touchscreen working, although you need to make sure its installed and running.

Q: Can I play videos in Windows CE?
A: Yes, to an extent. Do not expect xvid to work without codecs. Bitrate and quality will be pretty poor

Q: Can I play video on Win XP?
A: Yes, but its pretty crappy. I honestly dont think its worth it.

Q: Can I play videos under linux?
A: Eh' not really, its the same performance as XP.

Q: Can I play MP3s?
A: Yep! Even from Wifi!

Q: Is the Cisco Wifi card worth it?
A: Not really, unless you are hell bent on running Windows CE, otherwise buy a new card for much cheaper that has Windows/Linux support.

Q: What is so special about the FlashROM?
A: It is pretty much a custom sized compact flash card and header

Q: Can the FlashROM board be upgraded?
A: Yes it can! You can either buy an (expensive) upgrade, or fashion your own Compact Flash card adapter (more on this later)

Q: Can I hook up a Hard Drive?
A: Depends on the drive. The FlashROM board runs at 3.3 volts. An iPod IDE drive will work if you get the proper hookups. A laptop IDE drive runs at 5v, so you will need to steal power from the USB bus for it to work.

Q: What kind of connection do I need to hook up a CF or IDE drive?
A: You need to remove the onboard header with a standard height one, or solder in a 44 pin IDE cable. Check The Collective and Hardware sections of the forums for more information about this.

Q: Do you have any information about the bluetooth?
A: Sure do. Its a very good Bluecore 3 chipset. Compatible under Windows using the Microsoft Bluetooth stack, or WidComm. Under linux use the Blue-Z packages, available for near any distribution.

Q: Generally speaking, is this a worth while purchase?
A: If you enjoy software and hardware hacking embedded appliances, and trying to really push the limits of limited resources, then yes. If you cant take the time and challenge of learning the intimate details of a device and put together the software needed for your specific uses, then move on to something else.

Feel free to ask more questions. If anyone has a proper answer, please feel free. We need a good general FAQ about what the WebDT 366 can and cant do. Please leave this as Q & A style, no theory and hypothetical questions an answers. Keep it as direct as possible.

Hope this helped!
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Things you want to know about the WebDT 366, but were too lazy to search for.

Post by angrymeat »

darkcirca wrote: FYI - XPe runs great if you have the official edition of it for the unit. I'm running it without problems on mine.
Having purchased  darks "official edition " and run it on my web dt along with the xpe i created these two run exactly the same . It is a little sluggish but will work. the optimizations  foxx spoke about above will help speed it up slightly. by the way the "official edition" spoken of above is also about 430 meg and installs accross 4 partitions . I still say build your own versus putting an image on your tablet that  was designed for a manufacturing/ business environment that  has apps and services preloaded to support that environment and not the everyday user .
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Things you want to know about the WebDT 366, but were too lazy to search for.

Post by angrymeat »

There are various revisions, each working differently. I work daily with these things, and the ones I use run great.
[/quote]
So you sold me the slower one that doesn't run as well ? So what is different within the "official edition " than the others ? do the "official editions have ewf installed to keep from burning through your flash rom ? what type of things do you use your xp embedded for ? for very basic  web browsing and listening to mp3's xpe works yes but is sluggish  im interested to hear in which ways yours is faster . Could you possibly share one of your "Official editions" with the community for testing  since they run better? I understand it would be a violation os licensing but  seeing as you can sell them for less than the cost of a license the ones you sell would not be officially licensed anyways .
Soulace

Post by Soulace »

AngryMeat,
"the optimizations  foxx spoke about above will help speed it up slightly"

Which opts does Foxx speak about to speed up?

Soul
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

Turn off all forms of animations, cursor shadows, themes, and other graphical embellishments. Disable restore points, drive indexing, and enhanced search. DO some registry tweaks to enable Enhanced Write Filtering (EWF), and take your Page File down to zero. Although the pagefile will make the unit crawl when it access' the FlashROM, it will keep it from burning out NAND gates as fast.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

there is a command to enable ewf you dont need to touch your registry for that .
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms940853(WinEmbedded.5).aspx
the graphical themes and such  can all be accomplished by going to control panel, system , advanced ,performance
click on adjust for best performance amnd lick ok .