IDE & ACPI Device Manager Questions

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
turionaltec

IDE & ACPI Device Manager Questions

Post by turionaltec »

So I want to try installing an nlited version of Windows XP in a Virtual machine, further tweak/optimize it, and then try imaging it and applying it to the device.

couple questions, to make sure I won't get BSOD's imaging over:

In device manager, what does the IDE controller show up as? Standard IDE? What does "Computer" (HAL type) show up as? Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) or Standard PC?
Dave7341

Re: IDE & ACPI Device Manager Questions

Post by Dave7341 »

Not sure why you just don't install to the WEBDT as your test bed.  Worked for me.

I run a 366 GX and a 366 LX.  The LX is a far better performer than the GX but they are both functional.  The GX does a tri-boot of WIN CE5, Win XP Pro and Linux.  I think I can get a dump from the XP device manager if you think that will help you.  Send me a message directly to: ka2ctn@aol.com

Thanks, -Dave
turionaltec

Post by turionaltec »

I wanted to make as many changes to the OS as possible in VM to minimize writes to the flash memory. Basically make it ready to apply EWF. To answer my question ACPI HAL works, and I set the hard drive controller to Standard IDE, then I ran UBCD4Win on the VM session to use teh tool that primes the registry for different HDD controllers. I ran into other problems during installation / imaging I will go into another time.
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

I didn't realize you were using XPe.  I run XPe on the 256mb models - mostly the GXs.  I run XP Pro on most of the LX models 256 or 512mb RAM.

The new Puppy Linux V 5.20 released on Jan 6th 2011 works great on all models.  It runs 100% in RAM and is fast.  Use Opera for your browser for best performance and load flash 10 after that.  Small, fast and will run 100% off a USB stick while it leaves your XP installation alone. 

Works for me.  -Dave
turionaltec

Post by turionaltec »

Not running XPe, I'm running an nlited version of XP Pro, then I manually install EWF from XPe.