Windows XP from a USB flash drive, hardware buttons troubles

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
airborne

Windows XP from a USB flash drive, hardware buttons troubles

Post by airborne »

I managed to install and run (and beed running since monday, 22.11) a full featured Windows XP SP3 from a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade flash drive. I managed using the tool USBoot, which I found while browsing here, in the forum.

Anyways, I have a dt366lx800 (from tbowland). I installed all the drivers - VGA, chipset, penmount, wifi, etc. Except for the utility to control the hardware buttons. I installed the .inf file and it keeps showing an error, stating something like "NO_SP_DATA_AVAILABLE_FOR_THIS_GID". For the brightness control also.

I hope someone could help me.

p.s. I checked other topics regarding the same problem, but they didn't help, too.
Dave7341

Re: Windows XP from a USB flash drive, hardware buttons troubles

Post by Dave7341 »

Sounds like you have the wrong drivers or bad drivers for the buttons and the LCD brightness.  I have been running XP with no issues.  If this is still an issue for you, contact me off the forum and I'll send you the drivers you need.

-Dave 
ka2ctn@aol.com
turionaltec

Post by turionaltec »

I remember when I went to "Unknown devices" there were two. Installing the button driver one of them it didn't work. The other one did.
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

I have found a couple versions of the button manager and they both work with GX and LX processors with some limitations on the GX.  The button manager has noting to do with the brightness utility unless you run it as a custom button setting that runs the SETBRIGHT utility.  For both BTNMGR versions, the button settings are stored in the registry here:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DTResearch\BtnAgent]

Assuming you are like the rest most poor souls without the actual installation software, you will need to start the button manager, select each button, select modify and then save it even though you don't change anything.  THEN the settings will show in the registry.  If you use version 2.1.0.9 then you will have the screen rotation option - among others - this only works on the LX video.  This version also has button 2 locked as a 'work station lock' option that you can  not change.  You can modify the registry value to run any command like the other buttons.  I use it to run a script file that locks the WS and powers off the monitor - not a blank screen or screen saver but actually power the LCD off.  This will reduce battery consumption by 65%.  You'll be able to leave it on and carry it around (system locked) and you will still be able to receive IMs, emails. stream music or whatever.  My batteries kind of suck so streaming music will run about 90-110 minutes or so with the screen on and that goes to 4 1/2 hours with the screen powered off.  BIG difference.

On the brightness- there are two ways to adjust the brightness.  First is the BRIGHTNESS utility loaded at startup.  You need to hold down the third button on front like a shift key and then use the up and down from the 4-way button.  I find that having this utility loaded will slow the GX noticeable so I unload it and delete the file - both LX and GX. 

The second method of adjusting brightness is the SETBRIGHT utility that you should find in the system32 directory.  Make a shortcut to it and drop it in \documents and settings\all users\start menu.  This will pin it above the listing of all programs.  Click on it and usage is obvious. You could also set a button to run the utility if you like.

I have hundreds of man hours on configuring these things, let me know if you need additional info.

-Dave
drc-wartex

Post by drc-wartex »

hi dave, good to know you aced the webdt. I managed to install everything and i'm running off a USB HDD, with swap file working via USB, the only thing that stopped working is setbright. I noticed there is setbright and brightness.exe . I set the btnmgr to run the brightness.exe on btn3 press and i see the slider scale but it disappears instantly. I can change the brightness by holding rightt joypad and running brightness.exe  via btn3 but there is no way to change it gradually. When I run setbright.exe from system32 I get an error "Can't open device .....". I assume this is because the brightness .SYS driver is not installed or somehow half-assed. Any suggestions? Also care to share the script that shuts off the LCD? thanks
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

Ace....I doubt it.  There's a lot of users on here with more info usually.

Setbright is the Windows app that changes the display brightness.  That's a standard windows app.  If yours is not working then you might have a corrupt or missing file or driver.  Download this zip file and reinstall. 

ftp://cnycs.com/pub/lcdbrightness.zip  (user=webdt - pswd=webdt)

I'm not sure what model you have but I am assuming a dt366. 

Let me know.  -Dave
Dave7341

Post by Dave7341 »

I see a lot of people have downloaded the installation files for the display....any comments?  Is it working for you?

Should I bother to leave this FTP server on?  Is it useful to the group?

-Dave