explitive deleted CE5.0 install ANYthing?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
quickserve

explitive deleted CE5.0 install ANYthing?

Post by quickserve »

>:(
Long time windows user, thought i knew enough to make this DT366 yield to my superior will....ain't happening.  The thing sees the CD drive, but doesn't launch "autorun.exe" or "setup.exe"    Get message"Cannot find 'autorun' (or one of its components).  Make sure he path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available.'

Not sophisticated enough to switch to Linux.  Have read the posts extensively, and you are all out there in machine code land which i do not understand.  My initial reading before purchasing this thing said it came with a "lite" version of Microsoft Office.  I truly only purchased it because i believed it came pre-installed with a spreadsheet, and now i can't get it to install ANYthing.

In conversational English, is there a single resource that can help me get a spreadsheet onto this (explitive delted) tablet?  That's all i need.  I will live with all it's little idiosynchracies, i just need a spreadsheet program that can have multiple pages to a single file == and this flyback paddle.

THANK YOU all!
all my teeth are showin'....i must be smiling
mike66

Re: explitive deleted CE5.0 install ANYthing?

Post by mike66 »

quickserve wrote: In conversational English, is there a single resource that can help me get a spreadsheet onto this (explitive delted) tablet?  That's all i need.  I will live with all it's little idiosynchracies, i just need a spreadsheet program that can have multiple pages to a single file == and this flyback paddle.
I have also been fighting this thing since I bought one off Ebay a few weeks ago.  The short answer is no, not with the OS that is on it.  Everything useful has been stripped out of the OS.  MS made a decision a few years back to no longer make the CE OS available to consumers, only to device developers, and the OS on every device is slightly different.

I even tried using the Microsoft developer tools for CE 5 & it is beyond my skill set.  I have a few devices running CE 3.0 which I really like, but the screen size is too small, so I figured this would fit the bill.  Then I discovered you couldn't load any software on it.  What would be ideal for me is to get CE 3 on the silly thing, but I can't figure out any way to do that.

So far the best solution I have found is MicroXP, which i more or less got running on mine this weekend, but it takes up a lot more space than CE.  I want to use mine to read color pdf files, which it will do but I believe I will need to put the reader software on the CF card along with the pdf's as once MicroXP & the device drivers are loaded the internal drive is pretty much full.

While the seller on Ebay technically didn't make any false statements in his ad, I think it is a bit deceptive to say it comes loaded with CE5 when the version on the machine has the majority of the original capability of the OS stripped out of it.
quickserve

Post by quickserve »

;D

so....how about the Google Docs will it work with that?  has anyone actually tried it and had success?  that would be a suitable alternative, i just don't know if it will work.  i have found a couple places where IE6 (the default on this puppy) will not go
mike66

Post by mike66 »

I didn't try google docs, but using IE6 google's home page looked funky.  One of the first things I tried when I got mine was going to the microsoft update site & all I got was a message that said "this website will not work with a mac"

The version of MicroXP I have installed came with "Browzar" which is slightly better than IE6, but still wont open newer site designs.

One word of warning about MicroXP, many of the copies available contain viruses.  I unzipped mine on an isolated machine, identified the virus locations, burnt a iso to a CD, then got it of my PC & scanned that PC.  After install on the 366 I manually removed the infected files before installing any networking software.
quickserve

Post by quickserve »

FYI to those considering Google Docs.... google docs does not support the IE 6 that comes with CE 5, and, guess what, CE 5 can't upgrade to IE 7, and, because of my missing libraries, I can't load Google Chrome Frame.
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

Look guys ce is pure crap.XPe would work fine but it's not going to work well for the novice.
Every basic computing need you have can be filled by Microxp. Take some time and read thru this forum about Microxp.
mistico4

Post by mistico4 »

Well, I have an Atigo T but I had been looking for a table for a long time, and among the alternatives that I considered was buying a WinCE-based GPS because there's a package called MioPocket that is supposed to install the missing CE components so that any Windows CE compatible applicacion can run. At least Mobipocket Reader is confirmed to run and even included, which was what I was interested the most. Guess it's worth a try.

From the official site
http://netfresco.com/MioPocket/default.aspx

What is MioPocket?
MioPocket is a frontend for Windows CE-based devices, mainly GPS navigation devices. It is an installable package of programs, scripts, registry files and skins to "unlock" PNA/GPS devices and allow them to be used for far more than just navigation (ex. for music, movies, appointments, multiple navigation apps, etc.), like PDAs. Nearly all GPS devices use Windows CE as the core operating system, just as Pocket PCs do, but they usually try to keep you from accessing the operating system so that you can't mess anything up. MioPocket gets around that to open up a world of functionality to what is, ordinarily, a very limited device. MioPocket is the most-packed and most-fully-featured unlock for PNAs available and is free and legal to use, as it consists 100% of freely-distributable content. What MioPocket is not is a replacement for MioMap, Mobile Navigator or any other OEM navigation software. It is just a frontend from which you may launch your device's navigation software or other navigation software that you've purchased.

What types of programs does MioPocket come with?
MioPocket comes with just about everything that you might want: three media players (video and audio, nearly all popular formats, including MP3, WMA, OGG, MP4, H.264, WMV, MOV, DivX and XviD), three e-book readers, multiple dictionaries (inc. English to 5 languages), dozens of games, two image viewers, two paint programs, MS Office document viewers, text editors, handwritten note-taking apps, a MioMap route manager, four general GPS plotting/mapping apps, three different appointments/tasks apps, a contacts app, a calculator, a unit converter, registry editors, task manager/switchers, file managers, an alarm clock and more (all free/shareware). See the Readme file for a full list. Note: MioPocket does not come with MioMap, iGo, Garmin, TomTom or any other commercial navigation software. Icons and scripts are included for them, but not the programs, themselves (since they are not free).

Which devices does MioPocket run on?
Technically, MioPocket should run on any Windows CE-based device.

Please do post your experience, I'm interested to know how useful WinCE 5.0 can become.