PDF/older os

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
mike66

PDF/older os

Post by mike66 »

I just bought a web dt 366 on ebay, i purchased the CE version as we have used pocket pc / win ce devices in the past with no major issues.

The purpose for buying this device was to display COLOR pdf catalogs, brochures, and service manuals at trade shows, service calls, and while travelling without compromising a company laptop.  We want to display the files in color, otherwise we would have just purchased one of the many PDF readers on the market.

After i received the unit I discovered that I could not get any Win CE pdf readers to install properly, and many of the administrative functions common in CE do not seem to exist on this machine (at least they are not available in the control panel)

Then I found this web site & discovered that you guys already know all this.....

Right now I have 3 questions.
1) has anyone found a way to read pdf files on this machine?  Is the only possible way to do this via another operating system?

2) has anyone tried installing an older version of CE or Pocket PC on one of these?  I have several older Dell Axims running Pocket PC 3.0 that have all the functionality i need other than the screen being too small. If it would have a chance of working, I could try to figure out how to install this OS.

3) how do i go about saving an image of the OS on the machine currently, in case I decide to try to re install it for some reason?

Thanks

Mike
mike66

Re: PDF/older os

Post by mike66 »

One other question:  I can connect to our wireless network & browse the internet with no problem, but I cannot see the office workgroup and  one of the control panel functions I cannot seem to locate is the network setup area where I can specify the workgroup connection.  Anyone have any ideas on this one?
mike66

Post by mike66 »

OK, After many tries I have win 98 running on this thing - problem is, it wont boot without the Sd card in the USB adapter.

I moved the partition so I could install windows on the D drive and it still wants to boot off the C drive (USB Dongle)

any ideas??  How in the world do I get this thing to boot naturally off the D drive?
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I don't know how you installed it. Did you use a cd rom drive?
mike66

Post by mike66 »

serialjoepsycho wrote: I don't know how you installed it. Did you use a cd rom drive?
No, for some reason it refuses to boot off either of the 98 install disks I have, I used the HP USB disk tool to make a bootable SD card with 98 files, then I copied the 98 install disk to the card.  Once I got dos open I used ghost to move the partition to give the D drive 200 meg, then I formatted the D & E drives from dos.  Then I ran the 98 install from the SD card.

It did some strange things, had to kill it & restart a few times, but it finally installed.

It wouldn't work trying to install it to the E drive.

2000 Pro will boot from the install CD, but it keeps giving me a error after running for a while that it cannot access a boot device.

The SD card & CD do not seem to want to work at the same time in my USB hub
mike66

Post by mike66 »

This is the error I keep getting if I try to install 2000 Pro from CD

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF4463848,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

I have to unplug the SD from the USB to get the CD to boot from the 2000 Pro disk (it won't boot at all off the 98 install disk)

Shutting the USB off in bios doesnt work, it still boots from the SD card if it is plugged into the hub

I suspect whatever is causing this is the same thing that wont let it boot from the hard drive under 98
mike66

Post by mike66 »

This is getting frustrating.  No matter what I try i get the same stop error when loading 2000 - browsing these forums I see several other people had the same problem, but I don't see anywhere where anyone has figured out how to get around it.

One thing i have figured out, I tried loading dos using a sd on the usb, & using both FDISK & AEFDISK to move &/or remove partitions, I copied the software to the D drive & ran it from there, it did not affect the partition settings on the internal drive, it was changing the settings on the sd card dos booted up in - very strange behavior.
serialjoepsycho

You'll have to install it to the rom. i don't think copying the files will work because basically the boot loader won't get set up.
mike66

Post by mike66 »

serialjoepsycho wrote: You'll have to install it to the rom. i don't think copying the files will work because basically the boot loader won't get set up.
That is what I have been trying to do - none of the Microsoft installs (Dos or Windows) I have tried so far will write the boot files to the hard drive, some of them wont write anything to the hard drive.

I was able to install linux to the hard drive & it boots fine but I don't really like it.  I tried using some Linux tools to format & remove the partitions from the hard drive, I thought I had some success but I still cant get it to boot in any microsoft configuration.
serialjoepsycho

If the windows 98 cd isn't working I but it does on your tower I would assume that windows 98 doesn't have a driver to run your particular cd rom drive which could varywell dampen your efforts to use it. I don't know what particularly you are trying to do. If it's for simply viewing PDFs you can do it with linux. You might also flip though this thread and read about MicroXP
mike66

Post by mike66 »

It appears to be an error related to not having the proper drivers for the USB for the OS I am loading.  I get the same errors at the same places when trying to load any OS, all referencing not being able to read the boot drive, which I assume means the one I booted the machine on to start the install.
serialjoepsycho

basically you didn't boot an os to load the windows 98 cd. on the cd there would be a driver to work the cd-rom. if that is the case you need an older cd rom drive. did you change your bios to boot fro cd rom?
mike66

Post by mike66 »

changing the bios to boot from cd rom makes no difference as the OS does not recognize the vista/win7 cd/dvd

I think I have got around it though, I had an old workstation laying around, I put 98, NT, & 2000 on it in different partitions, issues with drivers & obsolete software with 98 & NT, I think I got around it for 98, but not with NT

No way i could thin down the 2000 install enough to fit so I quit messing with that

Got 98 working well enough for what I want, got acrobat 5 installed, ghost image running on the tablet.

Still issues looking for drivers for the display & the buttons, but I am closer...
serialjoepsycho

You could use windows xp
mike66

Post by mike66 »

serialjoepsycho wrote: You could use windows xp
wouldn't that install be even bigger than 2000??  (Unless MS put back in the utility to leave out unwanted stuff, then it might work)

I have XP on a couple of machines but they came that way & no install disk....