[Photo] How to add 8G flash on WEBDT Tablet

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Re: [Photo] How to add 8G flash on WEBDT Tablet

Post by david_halliday »

Perhaps this post should be moved to the Hardware section. Who can do that?

Dave.
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

angrymeat wrote: the 44 pin header on these appears to be 3.3 v so a standard 2.5" hard disk will not work on them . However a 1.8" (ipod hard drive ) should since they are 3.3 v . The 366 board has two components in the way of allot of standard laptop ide cables . you have to shave two of the corners down on the ide had to make them fit. I also sanded my cable head down to ensure contact form the short pins
I have confirmed this a few weeks ago. The 44 pin HDD1 header is in fact 3.3v. I am working on some HDD and CF solutions, once my parts arrive I will get to work and post as much info as possible.

Regarding SD to IDE adapter board, or SD to CF adapters. The speed on those will suck. SD read/write speeds are very lax on the standards. With the size of the adapter board, you might as well go with a Compact Flash to 44 pin 2.5" IDE adapter either way. With a decent CF card and some MacGuyver skill you can get a decent performance out of it, not to make you assume the WebDT 366 in general has much to work with.
Last edited by Foxx on Mon May 04, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
jm98

Post by jm98 »

This setup does not seem to work with DT366. Still testing it...

44pin female cable + 44pin-to-SDHC adapter with 4GB Class 6 SDHC card - not workin

44pin femail cable + 44pin-to-CF adapter - will be testing shortly..
Soulace

Post by Soulace »

Does anyone know any sources eg Dark (is she arund anymore?) where I cany buy a 1GB flash drive to replace the standard 512mb one?

Soul
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

After extensive work with the WebDT 366, I call Bullshit on that pic. I honestly think SunnyVOIP slapped a photo together just to boost up his sales. Im currently working on a real solution, and believe me its not as simple as just buying some gender benders off ebay and slapping it together.

Until I see a viable non-photoshopped or doctored picture of this working, I call Bullshit Shenanigans on this one.

Im not saying its impossible, im saying Sunny is a douche bag for making us think it is.
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

Strong words. Does it make a difference to your argument that SunnyVOIP specifically say that the photo is of a DT360 and not a DT366?
plane_crazy

Post by plane_crazy »

Foxx,

Have you been following this post? http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1349#p1349

Seems to me the problem is solved with nothing hanging out the back of the case?

Bruce
plane_crazy
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

Yes, I have been keeping up with everything done here. I like to consider myself on the frontline of (useful) hardware hacks. One of the main things I have noticed is a lot of the early people to make posts here were decidedly doing so for the sheer fact of marketing and boosting their sales.

$118 for a 4GB IDE Flash Board is a bit insane. That is more than what I paid for my WeDT. Also sanding the connector down is dangerous, I have ruined a few headers that way. Good luck getting an RMA for that.

It just so happens I found a compatible header for the flashrom connector from molex. I am hoping to make an adapter board so we can use various low-cost drives, compact flash, or even laptop drives.  Ill post detailed info when I have something that works. I dont like to post concepts that arent proven to work. When you do that people assume something is plausible. A few of us (whom I will not name) agree there are people here that post false or misinformation just to sell more WebDTs.

Matt,
No, makes no difference to me, both units use the same header as far as I know, so either way a stock 44 pin header wont fit without major modifications. I find it funny how Angrymeat tried this and fried his drive, and I have had no luck what so ever since I bought my WebDT. I like to consider Angrymeat and myself somewhat bright when it comes to these topics. After speaking with him for hours I am more than confident in his capabilities. If this is so possible, why is it nobody else has been able to get as far as POST?

I can put wings on a pig and tell you it can fly. That doesnt mean it will. But if it makes you think the bacon is not as fat to boost my sales, well, guess that makes me a douche bag.
rectic

Post by rectic »

It's not worth the risk for the cost. You can buy the correct 4GB flash chip itself for $100 from a reseller.
JouriM

Post by JouriM »

Im very interesting with this topic.
If its possible to use 2.5" drive - it will be great.

I know the power at original flash is 3.3V.
Does anyboudy think about to use 5V from additional, unused USB?
For instance here is adaptor:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0276565275
with external power connector.
Where are same devices with 0-degree IDE pins which allow to eay mount in in main battery space.
What do you think about?

PS: Anybody has pinout for flash used in WebDT?
Actually the question is: does it really 1-to-1 mapped to std IDE wiring without any changes?
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

An update, check here: forum/viewtopic.php?t=8

Molex no longer makes the connector for the flashrom boards, so I pulled the header on the motherboard off and put in a standard one. After this I can use adapters to boot the unit from *insert IDE drive here* however the bus only supplies 3.3V and 300mA of power. Laptop IDE Drives WILL NOT WORK *yet*. Also iPod IDE drives (ZIF Drives) wont work, or microdrives. . . But I am working on that.