MicroXP?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
NateTheGreat555

MicroXP?

Post by NateTheGreat555 »

Hey all, I've been away for quite some time to keep going at high school. Oodles of fun, it is, lemme tell ya.  ::)

Anyways, I've been playing around with my tablet again recently, and am getting quite tired of CE 5.0 (but then again, doesn't everyone after some time?)

I'm looking into Windows, as Linux is a bit too radical (for right now of course) and I found MicroXP. Can anyone recommend using that over XPe? It seems easier to install, but I am totally new at this. Does it include the necessary touchscreen files and things like that? And if I was to go through with it, are there any necessary prerequesites that need to be met?

Sorry for my noobness again, but I haven't been able to find things like this anywhere...

Thanks!
serialjoepsycho

Re: MicroXP?

Post by serialjoepsycho »

If you will look thru the topics under windows you will find the drivers to for windows xp. They will work with microxp.
NateTheGreat555

Alright, well, I was more unsure about the installation.

During the installation of a Windows product (I don't remember which) he ran into problems with drivers and with not being able to use the touchscreen/mouse/all of that. So, if I attached a usb CD/DVD drive, and burned the .iso to a disc, could I install it completely and then have the touchscreen working? Or would I install the touchscreen driver later? I would need to use a usb hub? I'm noob at this...
serialjoepsycho

You need a usb hub a cdrom drive and yes burn microxp to a cd. you need a mouse and keyboard. Install microxp. On this site the drivers that are for everything for the dt 366 are some where in the windows sections. Download them and put em on a usb drive or burn them to cd. Install the drivers and everything
NateTheGreat555

Sorry4bump...
serialjoepsycho wrote: You need a usb hub a cdrom drive and yes burn microxp to a cd. you need a mouse and keyboard. Install microxp. On this site the drivers that are for everything for the dt 366 are some where in the windows sections. Download them and put em on a usb drive or burn them to cd. Install the drivers and everything
OK...I now have everything together, but when I have it all connected to the hub and starting up, it never boots to the CD. Can I somehow make a bootable USB stick? My friend tried this and had some success with a different Windows version, but I am also a noob at making a bootable stick.

HP's utility didn't do much for me I think. Thanks for all the help!
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

hey -

As the friend mentioned by natethegreat555 a couple posts back, the issue i had with using a USB hub was that the installation process for windows xp naturally reinstalls a hub driver which cuts off the driver for a second or two - just long enough to lose the connection and screw over the setup program. Granted I never tried this with a powered USB hub but i would imagine the results would likely be similar with the only advantage being that the drive never gets completely d/ced and therefore might reconnect fast enough. What it boils down to in terms of using a USB stick installation is whether or not the setup program is USB hub friendly and with my experience it is not when you try to use a usb stick. I have had some success however in making bootable flash drives to install windows xp, i simply haven't been able to make them work on the dt366 because of the driver installation inherent to the install process...
serialjoepsycho

try plugging the power usb into your desktop and that'll keep it powered up and Maybe fix that issue. a few people have suggested that. A bootable xp setup on usb and a bootable xp usb are very complex setups so perhaps you should google that so you get the best directions possible.
NateTheGreat555

Alright, well oddly enough, I found that UltraISO has a "bootable section" that allows the user to burn an .iso to a USB device. I tried this, and when I restarted my DT366, it seemed like it wanted to load. However, it told me that my txtsetup.sif file was corrupt.

I know that that is a good file as I have now tried 2 different .iso's. I get this error with the USB drive plugged into the POWERED USB hub. When it's directly in the USB port on the tablet, it gives me an error message filled with many codes that I can't remember ATM.

I'm gonna check now to see if that's the tablet acting up, or if I actually did create a faulty bootable USB drive.
I'll post back with results...

EDIT: Nope...maybe I still fail at making a bootable USB device. Oh well then.

I know for a fact that the original CD that I made works, I just need a working USB CD-ROM drive. I guess that'll do it for questions now, but I may have some in the very near future, so I'll just reserve this thread for those questions if that's alright.

Thanks again!
Last edited by NateTheGreat555 on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ten0r

Post by Ten0r »

I had an IDE External Hard Drive which had a removable drive.  I unplugged my hard drive and put in a spare CD Drive.  It worked wonders for me.  I did install microXP a total of three times.  A word of advice for installing the touch screen, even when it looks like it's not doing anything, let the setup installer run.  What's happening is the program is searching for the hidden com port that the touch screen resides on.
resu

Post by resu »

NateTheGreat555 wrote: (...)

I know for a fact that the original CD that I made works, I just need a working USB CD-ROM drive. I guess that'll do it for questions now, but I may have some in the very near future, so I'll just reserve this thread for those questions if that's alright.

Thanks again!

I 've installed my micro xp 0.82 using old IDE cdrom with popular cheap usb to ide converter , like this:

Everything worked ok, but sometimes i had to reset dt366 twice or tree times to boot correctly.Before succsessful booting, my dt366 displays cdrom model at the left top of the screen.
It means everything works properly.If you don't have such a message, it probably means, your usb cdrom has not been recognized at all, thus you can't boot your cd.

Surprisingly, my 32 bit pcmcia ide controller [with direct bus connection with dt366 mainboard] didn't work with dt366, but usb to ide bridge did. I used powered usb 2.0 hub and usb keyboard  :

trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

Hey guys,

Got a cheapo USB CD Drive on eBay and it booted the burned MicroXP disk with no issues at all... using a powered USB hub connected to my desktop seems to wroking pretty well too... looks like everything's going pretty well except for the part of the installation that worries me most... the point of no return if you will at which point i need to format my primary partition to install winxp... i'm just going to remove both partitions and create a new one big enough and pray to God that it works... i don't see why i couldn't fix any errors later in that decision... working on it now... thanks for all the help...

EDIT: okay... I got through the initial installation... But I can't seem to reboot to finish the installation without getting a bluescreen error saying that there's a "SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION".... Any ideas?
Last edited by trmptplyr2368 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
serialjoepsycho

reinstall it. if it has 2 usb wires ( one for power and one for info to travel on) plug the power usb into your desktop. reinstall it and while its installing walk away. let it shut itself off and everything.
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

Tried it... It brought up that setup had a cyclic redundancy error when it rebooted and it hung there... After that, rebooting fails with the system license violation... Oh well... Custom nimblex was looking pretty good anyway...
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

hey guys! i finally got CE back so i can at least do some things with my 366... got a question though, inspired by how i managed to repair it... if anyone's got a working version of microxp on their dt366, would you mind posting the Norton Ghost image (.gho) somewhere?  that would make life a lot easier since i seem to be having issues with installation. For the record, I've been reading around and it seems like this might be a little bit ill-eagle to post a link to. That considered, if you wouldn't mind PMing me if you know anything that might help me out, I'd much appreciate it. ;).. thanks for all your help!

-trmptplyr
Last edited by trmptplyr2368 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
braxx

Post by braxx »

Yes, a GHOST image would be nice. I had XPe installed but it took up more space than I liked. I've tried to install microxp but my external CD drive won't work to install microxp for some reason. ( Like others have experianced).

Josh