Enabling persistent settings

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
casm

Enabling persistent settings

Post by casm »

Now that I'm over the activation error hurdle, I'm finding that system and account settings don't remain persistent between reboots.  Just logging off will keep everything as you left it, but actually shutting down causes any installed drivers, account settings, or other normally-persistent data to disappear.

Does anyone know what needs to be set in target designer to make this behaviour go away?  I can live with having to do an initial setup every once in a while, but losing all settings at every shutdown was old the second time it happened.

FWIW, I've been digging around in the XPe docs available on MSDN; it looks like it may be EWF-related, but I'm not 100% certain about that yet.
casm

Re: Enabling persistent settings

Post by casm »

Okay, figured this one out - EWF had to be disabled for the c: drive in order for persistence to be possible:

ewfmgr c: -commitanddisable

And, to reenable:

ewfmgr c: -enable

With 4GB of space and another 4GB in CF, Angrymeat's build is a little more basic than I'm finding I'd like - nothing wrong with it; it's just not as full as I want.  Right now I'm looking into the possibility of installing XP Pro followed by EWF (instructions for doing this can be found here); this may be the easier way to go long-term for people using 4GB flashes.  Target designer is really modular, but that's part of its downfall IMHO.

Anyway, more news as I have it.
casm

Re: Enabling persistent settings

Post by casm »

This is not turning out to be the greatest of experiments.

Even with EWF installed under XP Pro, there are a lot more disk writes being made than I'm happy with.  It's not that it doesn't work, it's just not what I feel it should be.  Further, diskspace usage is ridiculous even with 4GB of FlashROM.  This does not appear to be a good way to go.

I'm going back to working with XPe for a bit, but my gut feeling is that even XPe may be too much for these machines unless you're willing to go to 4GB of FlashROM.  Going to try making a more fully-featured configuration (i.e., that will require more than 512MB FlashROM) from scratch and see what happens.