Windows installation question

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
plane_crazy

Windows installation question

Post by plane_crazy »

I know Windows likes to boot off of the first partition and the DT will not boot from the CF card. But would it be possible to install Windows to the CF card and then use a boot agent on the harddrive to boot it.

If so what do you recommend for a boot agent. I have a copy of PQ BootMagic here. Would that work?

Bruce
plane_crazy
JouriM

Re: Windows installation question

Post by JouriM »

Its impossible to do this.
CF (and PCMCI) interfaces initialized and make work only by special drivers (not by BIOS itself like USB or IDE) so to use any media on these interfaces u need to have some OS already loaded.
Deadlock :)
The only task under windows u can use CF for is to point on CF some special folders like "My documents", "temp"  and, may be, "programm files".
Windows itself must be fully paced on default flash storage.
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'd just say it's past my pay grade. You can change the bios and you could likely make it so you load from the cf. But to do that you need to know what the hell ya doing and since I don't I'll quit typing now
JouriM

Post by JouriM »

Changing BIOS has not point at all.
Any windows OS (except win95) uses direct hardware access and independ of BIOS settings and possibilities.
So, even if some BIOS makes possible to boot from CF, Windows will stiil need special driver to work with CF drive.
Regular windows versions will just trap on boot due CF incompatibilities with IDE.

The only real way to make windows run from CF, I think, is to find a driver allows windows to use CF as disk during startup.
I donno where to get such driver (if thay even exist).