Running Windows XP Pro?

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
Origen

Running Windows XP Pro?

Post by Origen »

Hello,

Just got a hold of one of these devices and was wondering what to do with it.  Right now it has Winodws CE on it and I was wondering if anyone knows how to do a upgrade to XP, Have a CISCO wireless card I want to put in it and a 8 GB CF card that I was wondering if it can boot from. All so if anyone comes across a manual on this, please post.

Right now I am about to try the NimbleX tutorial.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Origen
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Running Windows XP Pro?

Post by angrymeat »

I  spent alot of time trying to get this thing to boot from cf and have had no luck . I have talked to alot of users who have not had any luck either. As for running xp pro yes it is possible  in a way :0
as far as I understand you can use nlite and make some pretty tiny installs of xp pro . I have not been able to get mine so small but alot have talked about it on mp3 car forums.
If you can get the entire thing under 500 megs you could  toss it on a pc and use ghost to backup the partition.
Then you could make a usb  98 boot disk with ghost.exe on it to image the unit.
I have backed up my windows ce install this way and put my xp embedded image on this way several times.
I would suggest  on your nlite install reading about minilogon and ewf on the mp3 car forums. the only ways I have found to boot on these thigns are from usb  or the internal ide flash card (not the cf card )
the standard internal ide flash on these is about 524 megs  . You could also find an xp embedded image for your unit and go there but i have only found one and I had to pay someone to send my chip to and get it flashed . it is an axtual atigo xpe image from the manufacturer .
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

So I heard this rumor........

if one searches for the following torrents:

"XP Performance Edition"
                "XP Home Theater Edition"

They both claim ~240MB iso's with 17 ruing processes and all tablet pc edition software. From what I hear, one runs out of room at the point of loading windows components. Like networking and explorer. Anyone know how to slim it up any more? I know these have a ton of things that would not be used on a dt. Possibly room can be created by removing things like the cd burning utilities and dvd ripping stuff.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

iso size may be 240 but whats the size on disk.  If you think about it xp is like what 500 some odd meg iso but takes up 1 gig plus on disk. as for way to strip down more you can use nlite.
sunnyvoip

Post by sunnyvoip »

Both XP Pro and XPe can run on DT366 if you have enough space and right driver. I saw some one removed the case of DT366 and use converter to attach a 30g HD and a DVD ROM. Then he can install whatever he wants on HD. The problem this tablet is not portable any more :)
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

yeah the problem is the 44 pin on the ide is lower profile than standard so most 44 pin cables wont fit. Dark and I talked a fair bit about this recently. I ordered a couple of 44 pin ide cable to see if i can get a laptop hd to run on it . If I can I can make a small hold in the back of my casing and mount. the drive there. It would add a little bulk but still be portable . I know there was alot of talk about ide flash units for these and I think from what dark says they are hard to find low profile enough to fit in the casing. but yeah you can run xp xp pre hell 98 3k  on these but the problem is space . I think I saw dark mention having some 1 gb chips or knowing where to get them  that are made to fit in these.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Has anyone looked in to larger internal flash modules? Or how an ide to flash adapter is built?

Say:

[url] http://techlime.com/storage-media-drive ... dapter/url]

Not sure if there is anywhere to pin out usb in the dt but that adapter in the above link looks like it could loose weight.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.