Wireless Desktop - Windows 7 on webdt using Teamviewer

If you are running Windows on your WebDT366 this is for you.
sehguhekaj

Wireless Desktop - Windows 7 on webdt using Teamviewer

Post by sehguhekaj »

Wireless Desktop with my Windows 7 and handwriting recognition computer

For a dt 366 use microxp
if you havnt done that start at the beginning of this website

Download
http://www.freevirtualkeyboard.com (fat finger friendly keyboard)
http://www.teamviewer.com (remote desktop application on both computers)

i put a micro sd card and a tiny usb micro sd reader from ebay for all other apps you want to put on ..
added files sol.exe and cards.dll for solitaire of course

configure teamviewer to work with your network ..
i used teamviewer because it was smaller mb than the things needed to add remote desktop to the microxp package..
create an account for your webdt on the windows 7 computer and dull down the graphics, classic theme works best and 800 x 600
after that you should be ready to connect to your windows 7 with the handwriting recognition tool ..

i have one by the couch to access winamp playlist, the second computer monitor (downstairs tv's) netflix and fastpasstv.ms hulu exc.. One webdt on the wall in the kitchen for the same thing plus weather, http://www.allrecipies.com.. and writing notes to eachother with mspaint.. its a lot faster than i could with the webdt doing all the work ....lol

Am i the only one using the webdt like this ? im curious to know .. i use it everyday
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Wireless Desktop - Windows 7 on webdt using Teamviewer

Post by volkswagner »

I see teamviewer does have a small footprint. I had not tried it on the DT but did try VNC.

Since seeing this post I tried Teamviewer and set both server and client to local network. I felt the response time was too slow compared to RemoteDesktop. Unfortunately RDP, is not included with MicroXP and it is rather large.

All in all I'd say that teamviewer in my experience was no better than VNC.

Do you have any tips or tricks for increasing the performance?

I only tried it on my DT366GX, as currently my LX800 is not running windows.

I also noticed entering the password with the virtual keyboard was not working. I had to enter password into notepad, then copy/paste it into login Teamviewer. I tried your recommended virtual keyboard with the same result. Again, do you have any tips or tricks here?
sehguhekaj

Re: Wireless Desktop - Windows 7 on webdt using Teamviewer

Post by sehguhekaj »

seperating desktops.. multiple monitors

Since the dt does not play video well , i put the video on the second monitor (TV), and the playlist on the desktop .. switching between the two often with the webdt remaining mainly on the desktop without the video, winamp lets you seperate the two.(video and playlist) also with netflix i can easily switch to tv to access it where my eyes can see it clearly and switch back to take the load of the video off of the webdt and continue checking email, exc...
VNC doesnt have multiple monitor support.. the last i checked.. i could be wrong.

if anyone has any info on how to configure teamviewer to run better maybe network tips it would be greatly appreciated..

"its an endless battle to squeeze every last drop of speed while adding more capability"

7 computer
I set my options on windows 7 to classic theme
res to 800 x 600
installed monitor driver and direct in on both server and client
no wallpaper
put wigits and icons on tv side. as not to add any extra visual to the desktop ..
no screensaver

webdt
teamviewer quality to optimize for speed setting..
no wallpaper
swap file is set to max free space (120meg is all i have)
changed the wifi card to a wireless g card ..
" i wonder if i upgraded router and card to wireless n if it would help teamviewer with that last speed step up ."
i did the tip suggested for bios setting it to write through

i have not ran into the problem with the keyboard.. passwords work fine for me, on both dt's.
i would suggest reinstalling teamviewer... or if it does that with all passwords the keyboard software