anyone considered changinging the bios?

Have a tip or tweak that worked for you? This is the place to share it. In particular allocatable memory, flash card slot limitations and speeds as well as how to set up a toggle for outdoor viewable video.
serialjoepsycho

anyone considered changinging the bios?

Post by serialjoepsycho »

to coreboot and perhaps place the linux kernel right beside it.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: anyone considered changinging the bios?

Post by quotaholic »

over my head but it sure does sound interesting!
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

it's way above my pay grade as well but if I understand correctly you can put the kernel on the bios and that with a few other things could clear up the hdd space to bring more to it. That with something like the Runz framework could either make it faster or make it so you can run more stuff.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Again interesting. I may look in to this on a hobby level. The 2.6.29 kernel with modules was nearly 100megs. May need a bigger chip but its plausible. Open boot and Coreboot are on the same lines. Open Firmware,  a sister to openboot, is currently used in apple hardware. The hackintosh community likely has lots of reading material on doing just this.

I just reserved a moving truck, again, so I am taking some time to relocate and get set up in a new town. Hopefully I will do some reading on this at my new location. This sounds like the start to many interesting embedded experiments.

quotaholic