Extracting An Image..

This board is for Windows on a DT368 / Atigo T
Michale

Extracting An Image..

Post by Michale »

I have a couple Atigos.  One is a T and the other is a T/HB...

The T has a 512MB Flash Drive already installed with XPe.  It has all the buttons working and the touchscreen is fine...

But I cannot update it.  I assume it's because there is less than 50 MEGS available on the Flash Drive.

Now I have tried GHOSTing the 512MEG image and put that on the T/HB which has a 4G Flash Drive.  But I get that Error Code: 0x80070002 error which, I have come to learn is caused by (I am assuming) trying to put an image from a 512MG flash to a 4G flash.

I have also tried installing regular XP and a MicroXP onto the T/HB 4G unit.  And I was fairly successful, except I couldn't get the buttons to work.  The buttons that bring up the virtual keyboard specifically.

So, I am at a loss on how to proceed.  I need the full functionality that the 512MG unit provides, but I can't figure out how to get that image over to the 4G...

I have tried to read up on making my own image from Scratch, but I can't wrap my brain around it.

Any help??

Mcihale
Michale

Re: Extracting An Image..

Post by Michale »

Doing some more research, I found this little gem..

forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

That seems to confirm that the issue is the 512MG v 4G flash..

Now question is, can I somehow edit the Ghost Image (*.gho) to make the necessary change??

Also, in that thread, it suggests using WPA_Kill to address the Error Code issue..  But, as it says in that thread, I can't get into the desktop to run it..

So, my other question is this.. I can boot with a Hirens Disk into a Mini-XP that will give me access to the Boot Drive of the Atigo T/HB.  Is there anything I can edit or delete from that Windows Dir of the Boot Drive that might allow me boot up this fully??

Thanx

Michale
Last edited by Michale on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michale

Post by Michale »

Apologies for the verbal spewage on this, but ideas keep popping into my head..

Is there something I can do to the 512MG Atigo BEFORE I Ghost it, that will allow it to boot up once copied over to the 4G Atigo??

Maybe disable or...  Hmmmmm Maybe run WPA_kill on THAT machine BEFORE I Ghost it???

Something to try...

Michale
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

I thought Ghoste.exe allowed image from a smaller drive to a larger drive?  Is that the issue, or are they different architecture?  Perhaps you selected partition rather than the whole drive?

You can use a live linux environment and DD to image the drive to an image file, say to a USB stick.  Then apply that image to the 4Gig model.

Here are some instructions. The instructions are for applying an image to a drive.  So to modify for your needs:
  1. Skip the formating part, as this is not really needed at a block level copy
  2. To make the image first you will need to reverse the dd comand.  Please be careful, DD=Data Dump but has been dubbed DATA DESTROYER, which is what happens if you accidentally reverse the commands
  3. So to make the image your command will be like this dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/xpe.img  where /mnt is where you mounted your external flash drive to place the image
Another excellent resource for using DD to image a drive.

You can also use Clonezilla in a similar fashion.  Just make sure you image drive, to file not partition to file.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
rectic

Post by rectic »

I've never had an issue extracting an entire image and putting it on a different flash drive - no matter if the beginning drive was smaller or larger. As long as their was enough space, it worked. I've always used Ghost as well...
Michale

Post by Michale »

Thanx for the replies...

I used Ghost32 off of a Hirens Boot disk.

Perhaps it's just the Ghost version I am using.

Rectic, what Ghost version did you use??

If that fails, I guess I'll try the Linux Live disk using DD..

Thanx again..

Michale
rectic

Post by rectic »

Mines just Ghost.exe, believe from 2003.
Michale

Post by Michale »

OK, I'll give that a shot.

Thanx

Michale
f-radzio

Post by f-radzio »

sorry for replay.
i also buy a new 4gb disk and i have the same problem. have you solved this ?