Debian

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Re: Debian

Post by david_halliday »

Not so good i'm afraid, I now have an install recipe that seems to install all the way through but for some my dt366 did not detect the installed device as a bootable usb drive. I even booted into rescue mode and tried to reinstall GRUB. I am however thinking along your lines and I am attempting to install a command line system only to start and build from there.

If I connect the drive to my normal linux machine I can even mount the disk (ext3) no problems.

When booting from USB failed, I tried to install onto the internal flash and for some reason the installer will not even see the internal flash drive and asks me what drive I should use.

Dave.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

Well last night I managed to get a very basic debian Lenny installed and booted on webDT but even with only base-install (no X or webdt special drivers or even Standard-System selected) the install was about 400Meg with a very basic X it is now about 600Meg.

I'm not sure if this can be trimmed much and still be a real debian, so it may not be appropriate for our use but I will look at it some more.

As for Ubuntu etc I suspect they will have the same size issues as they borrow a lot from Debian.

Dave.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Interesting Dave,

I was thinking on a few things;

It can work as SunnyVoip is using it on the DT's he is selling.

It also works as the base for the LinuxMCE Pad Orbitor.

Although the penmount driver only supports up to debian 4 (where I ran in to a jam) these two examples do have lenny working and on half a gig of flash.

While playing with slackware I noticed that by directing the mouse input at /dev/ttyS0 (within xorg.conf)  that I was getting action on the screen by throwing some of the penmount xorg framework at it and NOT having the penmount driver installed. It was not the right action but it was input. 

My thoughts are, is penmount in xorg natively? If so does it open more doors than what penmount lists for driver compatibility? What to do for a calibration tool if the first are true. If no calibration can we possibly just copy the calibration data from machine to machine thus eliminating the need for calibration. ????

Curious to know what method you used for installing lenny Dave. I think it may be possible to do it in less.. Not sure though. I am going to see about the above questions I posed in to the weekend. May free up more possibilities.

quotaholic