Using modules LiveMode, where do they go?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Using modules LiveMode, where do they go?

Post by volkswagner »

I have successfully downloaded a few modules.

From FireFox on the WebDT running NimbleX, I have downloaded a few modules.  I downloaded Gparted.mo and the GpartedLibraries.mo.

I double clicked both .mo files and the were loaded into liveMode.  I was able to run Gparted from the run command.  I wanted to run Gparted on my second unit.  After booting, I no longer could find the modules.  The action of double clicking moves the .mo files from the /home/downloads folder into the "/mnt/live" folder or similar, I think.  Is this a temp folder that gets cleared on reboot?

I also tried a second option earlier.  I downloaded Dillo web browser .mo file.  I moved it to the /boot/modules folder.  I was only able to successfully boot that USB once.  After the second time, it would fail.  I had to manually remove the Dillo.mo file from the /boot/modules folder.  I see other modules like firefox listed here. Is this the proper place to put .mo we want to run on next boot?
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Re: Using modules LiveMode, where do they go?

Post by Fleegman »

Yes.  When you double-click on the .MO files, they get extracted, installed into Live memory then deleted.

The only time the .MO files do not get deleted is if you 'double-click' on them from a location other than the filesystem.

EG:
You download GParted.MO and it is saved somewhere within "/"  (ie: "/root"), when you double-click it, it will install then get deleted.

However, if you move the .MO file to a folder on your USB stick (ie: /mnt/sdg/downloads) then double-click it, it will install but will not be deleted.

Makes sense?
Last edited by Fleegman on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

It makes sence.

When I navigate to the Home icon on the desktop, I see the following
  • Desktop
  • Downloads
  • xtools
  • NimbleX USB Install.desktop
  • Set IP address
I did not know that the Downloads folder was volatile.  I guess it is not a good place to put items I want to use next boot.  I just verified this because I don't have a save file setup yet.  I wanted to save some links for FF.  I made a text document and saved it to /Downloads.  Yup, it was gone on next boot.

Thanks for the info.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

Ya, I tried to setup a persistent storage on the NimbleX2007 build, but it wouldn't work. I tried various 'changes options' (ie: changes=filename.dat or even changes=/changes/), but for whatever reason it just would stick.

Anything saved in the live filesystem, will get removed upon reboot ... but in a way it's good because the Linux OS can never be broken this way.

So if you need to save your work or downloads, make a folder on the USB mount (ie: /mnt/sdg/) location, and move them there, that way the files will always be there.