E17

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

E17

Post by quotaholic »

I have installed several e17 desktops on my tablets. Unfortunately I toasted my 366GX and have LX800 hardware to work on so I cant share with WebDT owners running GX hardware. Just powered up the lx800 366 I ordered from member tbowland but it will not be compatible. That and I have a 1gb chip that allows for more room. E17's development has been focused on mobile devices for a while now. The illume profile is fantastic for the DT. The only way to get a functioning Illume though is to go through SVN. By the time the packages are built and the compilers and deps are met it takes up about 900 megs. Once you remove the sources it comes back down to sub 500 megs.

Check out http://packages.enlightenment.org If you installed a minimal debian system then put a minimal xorg you could easily apt-get e17 in on top. Only the Illume interface is not working that well in that revision. I did try to install elive however it wanted a lot of disk space. Much more than I had at the time. A powered hub, usb keyboard and an external cd-rom drive will get you in business for a minimal lenny install.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/i386/iso-cd/

Just install the base system and opt not to install any software. From the cd rom apt-get sudo and localepurge. Run localepurge and apt-get clean and you will have a wifi capable base system at 200 megs or so on the drive. I found a way to install a minimal xorg by issuing:

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends xserver-xorg-video-vesa xinit xauth x11-utils xserver-x11-utils xfonts-base
Worst case you may have to add some font paths to the xorg file I linked but it should get you going. That goes in /etc/X11/ folder.

From there install the penmount driver and add the 800x600 mode lines or just replace the xorg.conf file with the attached file. Add

Code: Select all

deb http://packages.enlightenment.org/debian lenny main exras
to your /etc/apt/sources.list file and run sudo apt-get update

then

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends e17.

You should be up and running at that point. Wrote this from memory so please let me know if there are any problems should you elect to give it a shot. The netbook profile found in e17 is very light and very fast. In the settings panel it will allow you to make keyevents for all of the hard buttons found on the tablet including running applications. I found that one could install a virtual keyboard like xvkbd and have it toggle with the button press. One can even make e17 open it without window borders just like the wince keyboard did. See this post for a how to:

forum/viewtopic.php?p=1528#p1528

needs xvkbd program

and this post for a autologin and an automatic gui:

forum/viewtopic.php?p=1934#p1934

quotaholic

quotaholic
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by quotaholic on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
thom

Re: E17

Post by thom »

What about LVMing that thing with a 1G or 2G CF? You could have it boot off the internal drive, then use the CF with LVM to make a larger drive. And if it burns out from too many writes, just replace it. I think they are like $10 now.

Have you tried that yet?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: E17

Post by quotaholic »

Not as of yet but I may just do that. On the DT366GX usb cf slot and other bus speeds would be prohibitive. On my DT366LX I have a 4gb chip that I am working on. Most of my recent efforts have been workin to compress via lzma, a file system in to a sub 500 meg installable image. Working on slackware as it has the right attributes and is a little faster than debian but I cant seem to get penmount working on version 13.1 (comes with blueman utility). Penmount is a PITA with strict adherence to xorg version and kernel versions. May have to go back to 13.0 and loose blueman to get there. Well see.