What Drivers Do I need

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

What Drivers Do I need

Post by david_halliday »

I am thinking of tuning one of the tiny Linux distro's to the DT 366, what drives and utilities are needed?

For example, what driver is needed for the touch screen, what is the best way to add an onscreen keyboard? What is the soundchip? etc?

Thanks,

Dave.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What Drivers Do I need

Post by quotaholic »

Hello david_halliday,

Welcome to WebDT.org! Penmount is the company that manufactured the screen for the DT. www.penmount.com and go for the downloads section. There you can find their drivers for many popular distributions of linux. From there you have a few choices as to which distribution you want to use. Mostly limited by available storage.

That being said you may want to check with Fleeman as he has put together a tutorial on how to get the distribution "NimbleX" working on a DT. It seems the driver from penmount is a little dated and needs old libraries to build on. Not 100 percent on that last statement but check with him. He may be able to tell you better.

xvkbd is an onscreen keyboard that has worked. Sadly I dont know of any others to mention. xournal and xstroke are also worth looking in to.

A lot of the mini distributions have an interesting build theory that often does not resemble a standard filesystem. Thus making permanent modifications can sometimes be tricky. We are ten days old today and are making discoveries each day. NimbleX has announced making their 2009 version compatible with the DT. As of right now that is the about the only choice we know of for a working feature set.

hope it helps
quotaholic
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

Hardware Drivers Needed:
- modify xorg.conf files and set max screen resolution to 800x600

- XVKBD (http://homepage3.nifty.com/tsato/xvkbd/)

- PenMount (http://www.penmount.com/down_2_1_9k.php)

- WiFi and BlueTooth (I never found any to download, they just 'worked' or didn't on the builds I've tested)
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

As my DT did not come with the WiFi card I will choose a compatible card that supports WPA correctly, but do have some more questions.

Does anyone know if any of the penmount drivers include source code? Also, which one is used in the NimbleX linux version and which is used in the Thoms Linux MCE version?

What is the graphics chip and what should I set for X11?
What is the sound chip and what does it require?
Are any drivers needed for PCMCI and CF slot or do they just run out of the Box?

Thanks Again,

Dave.
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

The Penmount drivers that I used in the NimbleX build were the Slackware 12.0 Driver V2.0.1.  When you install it, just accept the default settings.

I really don't know what drivers were used in the Orbiter build.