anyone interested in a little test?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
serialjoepsycho

anyone interested in a little test?

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I found an interesting little os. I don't think it will add desired functionality to any of the webdts but it may add an any idiot tool to a good number of individuals who might need it.
Here are its stats http://www.visopsys.org/about/index.html. I think it will load up and work with the most to all of the dts. The factor of interest is a program on it called Disk manager which I assume may help to install other operating systems on the dts. Since the process could be done in a graphical user interface it could be fairly easy or easier than the current process to do and perhaps useful in a number of other situations but that is the part that needs testing. For anyone interested you will have to set up this os to boot from usb or a portable cd-rom. The first thing I would check is if the already created .img of the already created webdt operating systems are compatible and if not the second thing to check would be how well it copies an operating system and how well it copies an operating system and how well it transfers an operating system to a blank hard drive. Anyone who can test this please post your results here and thanks in advance.

Heres the download section
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: anyone interested in a little test?

Post by volkswagner »

Your download link is inactive...

I tried to boot the current version...No GO!

I don't think hardware is supported.  There were several errors, mainly detecting and reading hd0.

I am not fully understanding your post.  Most all the linux .img files on this forum are created with a linux command DD.  I don't think there is an alternative method to apply the reverse operation.

I still like the idea of a ground up OS, but as you have read it's more of a pet project.

EDIT:  I also did not find any information for passing boot arguments.  I tried to his esc and all F1-F12 to see if I could get and input screen.
Last edited by volkswagner on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
serialjoepsycho

Re: anyone interested in a little test?

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I was thinking this as an easier way to transfer an os to the on board flash. Instead of doing it in dd do it (if it would have worked) would have done it ina graphic user mode thereby making it a few steps easier for a novice.

I don't know specifically about building a from the ground up os but I do have another idea.
I'll pm you with the info.