Tips for making WebDT Linux Distro - CUT DOWN THE FAT!

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
Coburn64

Tips for making WebDT Linux Distro - CUT DOWN THE FAT!

Post by Coburn64 »

My tips, tricks and methods for making a distro on older hardware:

1. Disable unwanted gettys. Edit /etc/inittab and comment out the lines that say tty2 to tty6. 2 terminals are enough for a tablet PC�

2. Replace the default shell that users login with with pdksh, dash or some other shell. Dash and pdksh both are really light.

3. Remove unwanted Xorg drivers, or use Xvesa. Don't install Xorg with all the drivers! All you need is xorg-video-geode or xorg-video-vesa driver(s) for Debian distress, which saves Xorg from loading all the drivers at runtime.

4. Remove locales in /usr/share/locale and install your distro's base with the "C" locale. This just uses the compiled-in languages in apps. (localepurge is also very handy - it links in with apt-get to remove unwanted locales)

4. Remove docs (man pages?) in /usr/share/doc . You can save about ~10MB.

5. Remove aptitude in Debian, you can shed about 12MB.

6. Make a ramdisk - 32MB would be enough for userdata. You could, say, on boot, extract files from a userdata.zip file in the root partition to the ramdisk, and before WebDT shuts down, zip it up and replace it on the root partition. This would save the NAND write cycle cost.

7. Use a kernel with specific drivers for the hardware; generic kernels use way too much memory.

I use these methods to make my own distros on my old computers. I can get a base installation of Debian Lenny down to about 61MB without crippling anything.

If you'd like, I can provide you the slim version for you to base your new distros on, pop me a message and I'll send you links. :)

Cheers,
Coburn64
Coburn64
Linux Geek, Owner of Coburn's Domain, "Geek In The Family" Blog Owner
http://www.coburndomain.org :: http://www.geekinthefamily.com
Like my work? Please Donate!
WebDT 366 Owner
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tips for making WebDT Linux Distro - CUT DOWN THE FAT!

Post by volkswagner »

Coburn64 wrote: My tips, tricks and methods for making a distro on older hardware:
I use these methods to make my own distros on my old computers. I can get a base installation of Debian Lenny down to about 61MB without crippling anything.

If you'd like, I can provide you the slim version for you to base your new distros on, pop me a message and I'll send you links. :)

Cheers,
Coburn64
Realy 61MB for Debian.  Please tell us more.  I have tried expert installs of Debian5.  Selecting no extras still left me with an install consuming more than triple your 61MB claim.

Please share your methods of the minimal install steps.  ;D
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
serialjoepsycho

Re: Tips for making WebDT Linux Distro - CUT DOWN THE FAT!

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I have found something worth looking at and trying. It's not 61mb but it's 128 mb I think.

http://linux.voyage.hk/