Another try?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Another try?

Post by quotaholic »

It was hinted to me from someone much more capable than myself that the reason Ubuntu and its variants wont work on the DT366 is because of the way that HAL is written.

On distrowatch.com the new "Lucid" 9.10 alpha 2 release of Ubuntu is boasting a full removal of HAL. If anyone is working with more free time than I am currently can we ask you to throw that guy in unetbootin or on a cd and see if it boots on a DT366? I am easily weeks away from being able to do this. The removal of HAL and validity of that hint are spiking curiosity levels.

Many thanks
quotaholic
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Another try?

Post by volkswagner »

I am downloading now.  Just to clarify Lucid Lynx is version 10.1

Ubuntu naming/numbering scheme is based on release date ie:  Jan 2010 = 10.1 and Apr. 2010 =10.4.  Long term releases are on even years, in the month of april.

:D
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Video seems to be a thorn on this one.  1 out of 100 attempts, will render video.  I did not try via USB, I tried the alternate CD, and Desktop CD.  I used vga=771, which gave good video for the 1 in 100 attempts.  I tried vga=ask, which brought up multiple choices, but all attempts actually crashed.

I am not sure why sometimes it would work, and others it would not.  I tried to do an install for the attempts that did work, but got error of "no installable kernel was found".

I notice the Debian images created by Quotaholic show i486 for the kernel.  Is this a missing component in Ubuntu?  I have found a workaround for the kernel not found error. 
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thats not good. I had similar video problems in trying to set up lenny on the DT360. Was video=ofonly in the list of asked choices out of curiosity?
serialjoepsycho

Post by serialjoepsycho »

It was the alpha that you used so there was the risk of crashing. If it did work 1 out of 100 tries that does beg for another attempt with a more stable release. The final version is being released on april 29th.