DT360 Internal flash only 64Mb?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
evilbob

DT360 Internal flash only 64Mb?

Post by evilbob »

Hello I am new here and I have a few hundred DT360's. My Goal is to put Linux on them and use them as TN5250 clients to connect to the As400. I could really use some help or suggestions.

My requirements are touchscreen working with onscreen keyboard, TN5250 (application installed) and wireless working with eap-fast security.

some of my issues are.
The internal Hdd(flash memory) is only 64mb the Images I have seen here are larger than this how can I put such a large image onto the internal flash Hdd?

do any of the mini Linux distros have support for eap-fast?

Also I see most people prefer to use DD to make the clones because they don't have windows. Anyone tried Clonezilla? might be easier for people than DD IMHO.

Thanks for everything. These forums have been a great help so far.
plane_crazy

Re: DT360 Internal flash only 64Mb?

Post by plane_crazy »

It seems really odd that it's only 64Mb. Are you sure? Are they all that way.

Are you interested in selling any of them? If so PM me, we'll talk.

Bruce
plane_crazy
Foxx
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Foxx »

make that a second, also, EvilBob, check your PM.
Hacking is not a crime, It's a passion - www.BSoDtv.org
If you need someone to IDE mod your DT366 toss me a PM.
rectic

Post by rectic »

Guessing you have the CE revision?? If I remember correctly, this used a smaller flash chip, and only had 256MB of RAM.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

The DT366 had a version available with an arm CPU in it. This version came with 64mb of flash from memory. Do your units have geode or arm cpu's?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks for the clonezilla tip! Didnt know about it but I will look in to it. Welcome to webdt.org!

A few folks here have access to larger internal flash drives. We would need to look in to that before going much further. Thankfully on the DT360 one can swap the internal flash by removing the battery and looking underneath. The flash sits on half height pins and can be "gently rocked" off its perch.

I would have my hand raised as well if you were selling any of these units. Will have to look in to the rest of your requirements to see what is out there that can support your application.

quotaholic
evilbob

Post by evilbob »

My Units do have the Geode CPU in them, and yes stock it comes with windows CE5. Unfortunately I cannot sell any of them right now It's for work and they won't part with anything unless it's destroyed. Currently I'm looking into a linux distro called thinstation, and I'm also looking at some software called openbios that I can load into the 64mb internal flash and then have openbios boot off the compact flash slot. Then I could install almost anything. I will try to keep everyone here updated if I make any progress.

Thanks everyone.
sunnyvoip

Post by sunnyvoip »

I have a few hundreds DT366 Tablet PC with broken touch screen. The 256M flash drive inside can be used with your DT360. If you want take these DT366, please contact me offline.
evilbob wrote: Hello I am new here and I have a few hundred DT360's. My Goal is to put Linux on them and use them as TN5250 clients to connect to the As400. I could really use some help or suggestions. 
DyncNene73

DT360 Internal flash only 64Mb

Post by DyncNene73 »

Yes, UBIFS.  Why do I use internal NAND?  Because it's about 2x faster than the fastest SDHC card, and SDHC is a who world of hurt getting something that works fast AND reliably.,.