WORKING Penmount touchscreen on Puppy Linux 4.3.1

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WORKING Penmount touchscreen on Puppy Linux 4.3

Post by quotaholic »

Rock on Matt! I see where I did a few things differently. Thank you very much for the step by step instructions! I will give it another install this evening.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WORKING Penmount touchscreen on Puppy Linux 4.3.1

Post by quotaholic »

This is a great day! Thank you again Matt for the instructions. Not installing the touchscreen.pet and going xorg instead of xvesa got me on track this time. I now have a functioning and calibrated touchscreen. Ran out of cds so I am on 4.3 still but it will work with your instructions.

"xmodmap" is the program that will translate the button presses in to what ever we command. The xev output will be the model so making a file with the mapping and then calling xmodmap to it will give us button functionality. I have a how to on this already written here:

http://webdt.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1522#p1522

I am not sure if the xsession script or the save locations will work as of yet but I will be getting to that soon. 4.3 seems to boot much slower once penmount is installed. Once its up it is very fast though. Upon reboot xvkbd works well by clicking on the "focus" button then clicking in the window you want to type in. Time to start up a movie and try to get some things started automatically on boot. I'll update this with a how to once I get buttons working on boot.

One can manually call the xmodmap file with:

Code: Select all

xmodmap /root/.Xmodmap
provided you saved the file as "/root/.Xmodmap"
Last edited by quotaholic on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

It seems that after installing penmount a number of modules become missing. I upgraded to 4.3.1 in hopes of getting a fresh batch but I still get errors about a missing /lib/modules/net/ath_pci or /lib/modules/input/misc/atlas_btns directories whenever I try to manually try to load them. Thus the buttons wont work until we can figure a way to get the needed modules back in to the system or properly linked if they are elsewhere.
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

I'm not sure that the penmount install is to blame... If you examine the contents of the penmount 'install.sh' script you'll see that it only copies the driver to /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input and sets the pm-setup program to run at boot-time.

(although, that said, I know it makes changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf as well, which isn't mentioned in the install.sh script so there must be another script somewhere).

We may be tripping up over some quirks with the way Puppy handles running from RAM... I have had mixed successes with copying modules to folders on the puppy drive manually. I think if you copy things manually you are supposed follow that with 'sync' at the command-line to commit the manual changes to the compressed pup-431.sfs file that gets unpacked at boot.

I tried to ask about the atlas_btns.ko module on the www.murga-linux.com/puppy forums but got no reply. I saw on those forums that a lot of people ask about ACPI buttons in relation to the eeepc.

I haven't had the chance to try things out this weekend, but my current set-up DOES respond to the hardware power button in xev, but none of the other buttons. Did you ever get any response from the power button or other buttons?

It's slightly frustrating, since I *HAVE* had the buttons working before, but I wanted to re-install to try to strip back some unnecessary drivers...

I'm committed to getting it working though.... I'm much happier with Puppy than with the Enlightenment install - more so because it is smaller and has better community support.

Out of curiosity, do you get that series of 10 or so "INT 15 EAX" errors at boot-time? I couldn't find much in google regarding that, except some hint that the RAM was getting probed at that point. I might dig into the 'startx' script and see if I can by-pass that check...

Cheers!
Matt
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

My first go was with 4.3 and using a service pack to up it to 4.3.1. In doing so I could not modprobe anything as most ko's were not there in the lib/modules ... path. As I had working buttons before penmount I blamed it when I rebooted and had none as it was the only global change that was made. When I downloaded a new 4.3.1 iso and went at it again the modules were there however acpi was not cooperating. I can manually load the atlas_btns kernel mod however the linking to the kernel event that the atlas button controller produces seems to have been lost. I am on the network this time and the battery gauge shows up on the task bar so I can only wonder where the button controller fails.

As for the screen I dont know. x takes a while to start on the 366. While I see very little about the verbosity of init in how it is identifying hardware however it seems that the x does have some verbosity. Not sure what to fix to get buttons back as puppy is very new to me so I will watch from the sidelines.
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

I have the both the penmount and the hardware buttons working now. All it took was a reinstall (although I chose a couple of different options this time... no ram boot and save to a pup.2fs file).

When I get a few more moments I will map some of the buttons (using your HOWTO post) and upload an image.

One more thing... I decided to use 'pup.2fs' save files because Puppy is actually very smart about finding and using these. It turns out that you can move your pup.2fs file to a compact flash card in the slot and it will pretend that your WebDT now has a bigger hard-drive. That means you can install all sorts of junk.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Possibly as I am on the normal and not the small iso is the reason I do not have working buttons. I reinstalled and tried the changes you mentioned however I am not seeing any output from xev on button press. I will wait for your image. I feel that scripting of the modmap file will be different in Puppy but that is just a hunch. If you want to make a dd and pm me for a non public place to transfer it to and I can work on the scripting too.
matt
Developer
Developer

Post by matt »

I went back to using the full install and having puppy load to ram.

The front panel buttons were easy to link... You can either create the .Xmodmap in your root drive and/or edit the /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal key bindings.

I went ahead and bound some keys. The image is ready to upload. I'm going to post it to a new thread.