CarPC WebDT MediaCenter ... is it possible?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

CarPC WebDT MediaCenter ... is it possible?

Post by Fleegman »

I have no idea if this would even be able to run on the WebDT -- but look at this interesting video I found on YouTube ---  this would be great if this could be done on these units.  From what I understand, the unit is running some type of custom Ubuntu/Elisa build....  maybe some type of micro distribution purposely made for these type of PCs?

YouTube Video: Ubuntu Elisa CarPC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCAAwT2edSo

Translated YouTube Text Comments Below:

warez1990 (3 days ago)
How you do This? : D

Corsaropc (1 month ago)
The car pc is fitted by 6 months and no problem of heat and power supply ... I have an inverter for the moment ...

rahj8786 (1 month ago)
Where you bought this? and how much?

SkLeRaTOO (5 months ago)
Cavolo really nice compliment! In the face of programs like Road Runner for xp;)

Corsaropc (5 months ago)
Hello, this was the idea .. unfortunately I had to convert to Roadrunner ...

SkLeRaTOO (5 months ago)
Why? Well perhaps it also need the navigator believe ... Indeed I saw the other video ..

Corsaropc (5 months ago)
Yes, with Ubuntu was a headace software .. many are only made for xp and the wine does not work it all ... then, after several attempts, I myself and my friend programmer to have sold more widespread Roadrunner ...

LinkinMark007 (6 months ago)
Really a beautiful Mediacenter

Corsaropc (7 months ago)
So far I have no problem ... it is after an intensive use is a little hot ...

piergiuz (7 months ago)
eheh:) well I believe, we want to use it a lot! : P to the max, with the climate attacked the pass eheheh! thanks again!  expect the review of carpc in-car "! saludoss!
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: CarPC WebDT MediaCenter ... is it possible?

Post by angrymeat »

it hard to imagine these running that very smooth under xpe im running frodo player and even that is a little laggy at times.  i ran dsl on the unit for a little bit it seemed to run well but never got the penmount stuff working.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

from talking to tom over there there really isnt any room in his distro he said  not even enough for a small browser. the base install isnt the problem its the dependencies  that turn into the issue. the penmount drivers all seem to need xfree86
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I think the mounting tutorial was for things like xorg.conf and finding out what else he needed. The author mentioned somewhere about making a custom gentoo distribution as his project.

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

it would be nice  I spent the last two or three days messing with linux on these  everyone I talked to on irc about gentoo said it would be to big so I stayed clear . Everyone suggestions seemed to be towards slax or dsl . I wonder is it possible to host the boot on the onboard flash but run the os from the cf slot . That would help a ton. I am not great with linux though so i could be totally off base.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Tried many times to put the boot partition on the internal flash, then swap and put all the rest on the cf card. Never was able to pull it off. No successful reports as of yet from anyone booting from the cf slot. I even put my timeouts in the bios really high thinking it might be latency. Nope.

Both Slax and NimbleX are on similar constructions. They use lzm compression as a plugin to the squash file system. That basically means that there is a read only partition that is compressed read only data and there is a userdata partiton. he latter is for config and user files. Its kind of cool because its like having a live cd on your hard drive but you can also save configs and files.

Slax does not have a working network card config as far as I know. NimbleX does and not only that Fleegman got a 100 percent working version of NimbleX together with touchscreen drivers. The eveloper of NimbleX will be working on NimbleX 2009 with the WebDT in mind as well.

So far this looks to be the best solution depending on how you want to use it. 

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I agree I am hoping he will be able to throw something nice on there the only thing I dont like about nimble is it seems that I cannot install nghost on it .  the usb boot I have working fine with no problem a little lsower than I like and i think I want to play with fluxbox on it to see if that kills alittle of the lag. It seems like the dt runs really hot when running nimble though . this could be my imagination  but after a few minutes the screen got what seemed alot hotter than I get on my xpe  but then again I have been playign with this thing way to much and could be imagining it.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

There could be a reason for that too. I had something similar. Lets see what Bogdan comes up with.

I really want to try attaching to a tty of an existing machine somehow. Like remote desktop but I wonder how to find out what the requirements of the client would need to be.

The ubuntu dev that asked me to check the log files for my broken graphics stuff planted a seed on ubuntu server. Any server core os for that matter. Would we need a full os or just gui libs and nfs or ??

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

i think everyone has a different  needs on this  I want a mini carputer/ portable tablet others just want a cheap laptop web tablet so on . Yeah being able to put vnc on  them would be great. I wouldnt have played with dsl as long as I had without it . the current usb  version  takes so long to boot and runs slower than my xp atm  im stoked to see it working though . I don't imagine ubuntu running alot faster on these either but I would love to be disappointed. the things tschak  said on his distro and the genreal thing I got form most hard cor nix guys were alot of the decencies for the things to get the wifi and touchscreen working are the killers. Plus the buttons dont work on it yet  although someone told me the keytouch app would work to map them.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

interesting on the keyboard app. and your so right on how we all see something different for an end use. i had real good luck with puppy linux. everything but the touchscreen. thats a special distro too. i looked in to sending Barry an email but i couldnt figure out how to get past the gate he has up on contacting him. Need to know the name of the mascot to continue. i couldnt figure it out. if anyone else can please beg of him to build penmount in.

puppy or DSL would be great as they are in ram.  never validated bluetooth though. i was just thinking it would be easier to get a wii remote to work over bluetooth in DSL before getting penmount up.

For what you have n mind there is interesting chatter going on over on the windows side about the ide adapter that seems to be in these. a new member has a cable on order to see if he can attach a laptop hard drive for more storage. that would make things interesting for stationary or semi portable applications.