webconverger

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
serialjoepsycho

webconverger

Post by serialjoepsycho »

a debian based web os thats for x86 hardware a needs only meet firefoxs minimal install. I thought somebody might be interested in looking at it. http://webconverger.com/
serialjoepsycho

Re: webconverger

ones is built with ice-weasel and a experimental one is built with opera.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Like anything look at the penmount drivers. If they line up with the kernel being used then its two thumbs up. I found voyage linux as well. Voyage claims to be optimised for lx800 hardware.
serialjoepsycho

Lol I got ubuntu on my desktop and that is about as far as I've gotten with linux. I've got a blank hard drive on the dt and the best I've been able to do is run puppy without the touch screen lol.  I'm about to put xp on it I guess. I just saw this and figured someone might like it's alternative design.
serialjoepsycho

I loaded it to my desktop for a sec. It's str8 up no fuss no muss web browser Operating system. I really couldn't figure anything out as far as screwing with the os. It simply is a browser. I don't know if cloud os or google chrome will be much better but with google gears it might play  well with any and all online apps and you might be able to use moonlight to get windows4all to work and of course there are the other online os that will work with it. I got to get another usb keyboard before I ever mess with the webdt but if anyone is interested with fooling with webconverger I think the penmount drivers might work. I found this connevted to the website and it might mean nothing but eh. http://mirror.webconverger.com/debian/p ... -penmount/
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Putting linux on is not all that hard. Worst case you format and try again if something goes wrong. I just put a post in faq highlighting the install procedure. If you want, let me know when you are doing it and I will hang out on irc to help out. You can go windows if you want but I think I have better toys available on the images I have made. Webcoverger is great for a kiosk application where no os interaction is wanted. Boot to web and thats it.

As for the penmount package on webconverger, its not really needed. The one thing that package wont come with is the needed calibration utility. A few releases ago xorg supported penmount natively however the screen is just not unusable until it gets calibrated. X axis is opposite what it should be y is ok in most cases. But although its a good thought that xorg package from debian only really modifies your xorg conf file with an assumed usb penmount interface when in fact the webdt has a serial interface. Kernel 2.6.29 ships with webconverger and penmount supports it however they only slightly reference adjusting ones "ev test" and "evdev" settings to adjust their driver. I wrote them asking for more info on calibrating their driver on 2.6.29 however I have yet to hear back them. I plan on following through on thursday. Will post results.

quotaholic