Google Chrome OS. Any thoughts?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
serialjoepsycho

Google Chrome OS. Any thoughts?

Post by serialjoepsycho »

I think it seems interesting. Might be perfect for this hardware. Might be pure shit. Anywho any thoughts?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Google Chrome OS. Any thoughts?

Post by quotaholic »

Yeah a few,

I think that since this is targeted at netbooks at first that anyone who wants to think about running it should look in to a larger storage chip. Not only does a newer chip unlock faster drive speeds but I am betting that this will be a 1gb release and nothing less. Google gears, voice, picasa, earth and a few more apps will be included (obviously).

Not saying that will give you a chance to run chrome. Sadly the lowest resolution supported by their apps currently is 1024x768, at least this is true with google earth, which took 15 minutes to open when I had it installed (original chip).

I posted this on the CL linux forum when someone there asked the same:

I remember Eric saying that the one thing the american people should be knowledgeable of is that the US government issues thousands of subpeonas a day for our private information to google.

That being said I also remembering that google holds the patent for the shipping container data center.

This is aimed at netbooks initially. If the goal is to dethrone microsoft hard core linux users and mad scientist types may not find much thats appealing at first. This will target our teens first making the social aspect of the internet that much easier to get to. What is facebook worth again? Netbooks are cheap and easily replaced.

Unless google pulls an apple and gets drm content providers involved I see a group of individuals recognizing open source code and running with it. OS X is not unix as we know it but the hackintosh community has proven their point. While this may not be linux as we know it I think google is cleaver enough to throw in features like free googl voice (which is awesome btw), free online, apps, and enough free storege to attract a few people who are frustrated with the mainstream linux getting heavier and heavier.

I have a feeling that a lot of those "summer of code" projects that google hosts will develop this platform faster than anything we have seen. I see embedded google in mall kiosks in 5 years. Once it hits 20 percent market share the business community will take notice and start to migrate. If our kids (those who have them) scream loud enough, for these google netbooks, I see this working. Especially if google markets it a community based os. They will learn from the OLPC and possibly put it to shame making the world take notice.

Personally I hope it happens and I plan on supporting it. I have been in disagreement with freedesktop.org for years.

My two cents
serialjoepsycho

I was personally hoping that all that we be shifted to online hosted programs. The cloud ideas are so thought out I assumed that Chrome os would more or less upload the drivers and chrome. Cable came out with a DVR concept that's lined with a cloud. You pay for the service and it reacts like any other dvr except all recordings are hosted in house at the cable company. Or  there's a new proposed 7th generation video game console http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnLive. Or of course some of the talk about cloud computing going on in the computer arena. Hell have you seen the pogoplug? I just assumed google was going low.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

You know, your probably right. As I grew up on rabbit ears those are painful words for me to hear. Aka too much change. In my own experiences I am not within the cloud for all of my instances of computer usage, nor do I want to be. If they based their plan of attack on a pure cloud approach how would they service larger corporate clients who restrict such access? Netbooks are their primary target (at first) and I cant imagine the throughput needed to load "all" of the os from remote. I see some things loading but not all. Internet is just not that fast yet, across the board. The thought is a logical one from deployment to updates to cost of service and everything in between.
serialjoepsycho

Oh tell me about it. I grew up with an antenna you had to go and adjust periodically. The first satellite we had was 10 times the size of what they are now. Your right that Internet speeds aren't up for full cloud like deal. I just kind of envisioned the plug top computers coming in to popularity. I think networking is up to par with a home cloud type thing. something like http://www.pogoplug.com/ in with a thinclient and Internet. I might have the cart before the horse but anyway we'll see if it don't fall thru.