Debian5-E17-1.2

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
thom

Re: Debian5-E17-1.2

Post by thom »

I really like the e17 eyecandy. How about the bluetooth and the zocom xi-325 wlan card? Or am I just being greedy now?
;D
thom

Post by thom »

quotaholic wrote: When I make an image from my DT I use the dd command: "sudo dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/blah-blah.img"

That makes a raw copy of my filesystem. To restore that copy first format your whole flash drive to reiserfs, one partition, with no atime option if it exists.
quotaholic
Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't matter if you create the partition and format it or not. When you dd the drive, you are transfering the partition tables and boot block and the file system to the drive. Se even if I create a FAT32 partition, once I dd the drive, I've transfered your Linux 83 reiserfs partition to it.

I am trying this image out now. I'll report back how it goes. I'm looking for an image with support for my wireless card.
thom

Post by thom »

Fails to boot.

I get the grub screen, and it begins booting, then the screen dies and I have to hold the power button in for 10 seconds to get it to shut off.

I wonder if I should try rerunning the dd command.

Fn computers. I hate them this week.
thom

Post by thom »

Ok, I cant get this image to work. I redownloaded it with my fedora machine and used a different memory key. same results.

Bummer.....

oh, but i did confirm the dd thing. I created a FAT32 partition and then imaged the drive. When I rebooted, it was Linux 83.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I recommend partitioning the drive to a blank reiserfs before imaging. For whatever reason I have only had about 50 percent success when dd'ing an image to a drive that was not prepared as such.

As for bluetooth I would recommend trying out the debian-e17-sid image. Blueman bluetooth manager is in the debian sid repositories. The last step I took on that image was to update the apt sources to sid, update, then install blueman. Its a great bluetooth manager. Much more featured than that of gnome-bluetooth or even kde-bluetooth utilities.

Cant tell you for sure on the wireless card on if it will work or not. Wicd is the network manager on both images. Wicd can use ndiswrapper and even madwifi for the drivers. I would search out your card and even the debian 2.6.26 kernel to see if it may take with out extra packages. There is little room left on the sid image but it is one of the fastest and most certainly the most featured of all the images I made. E17 has half the memory footprint than that of all other window managers. Run it in netbook profile and its a natural choice for the DT's.

All of these images I made came from the base of a debian-xfce and lxde 700meg image available on debians download mirrors. I often use it for partitioning a drive as it will not automatically install software. The partition utility also allows for setting "noatime" in fstab which will increase flash life as it will not write to disc as much. 

One other possibility on this image not working is that there were two internal flash sizes that the DT366 shipped with. One was 500 megs even and the other was 524 megs. I used the 524 for all my images. Hopefully you have the 514. I think it comes out to less than that after partitioning and laying out a file system of course. 

Hope it helps
quotaholic
thom

Post by thom »

Okay, I will try formatting the partition before I dd it.

Also, I think I have a 4G drive for some reason. When I scan the dmesg, it tells me a 4096MB hda.

I'm using the trinity rescue kit. I use that for virus removal, and any other low level work on drives that are bogged down with spyware and stuff like that.

I'll report back in a bit. I'm anxious to get this image on and see how it looks.

Thanks.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

With all that disk space I would just grab that LXDE & XFCE image from the Debian 5 repositories. Provided you had a usb cd rom, hub and a keyboard. Just do the basic install of the base system and quit the installer before it offers to install "software.

deb http://packages.enlightemnent.org/debian lenny main extras

The above is the apt sources line from memory. I install the window system with this context to conserve space:

sudo aptitude install --without-recommends xserver-xorg-video-vesa xinit xauth x11-utils

That should get you a window manager and xev to map out button presses with. The enlightenment control panel will let you add buttons and script accordingly.

Wicd is in the debian backports repository and has a few deps but not too bad. Have not seen blueman in backports yet so as I said I up the apt sources to sid, update and install blueman from there.

Unless you increase the partition size after install that 4 gig disk you have may not be usable. Only the 500 meg image you are dd'ing in. If you elect to install from the debian image let me know if you need any help.

On a side note Slackware 13 should work as well and has always had ,y favor as version 12.2 seemed to run a little better than debain. Version 13 was the first version to be able to support the hardware buttons. In debians case we need to add the following to /boot/grub/menu.lst (added to the boot command) :

vga=788 noacpi
thom

Post by thom »

I did it your way last night and got the same results.

Maybe I need to edit the grub line to include noacpi.

I'll try that tonight since I still have the image on the tablet.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

thom, try the  Clonezilla image.  It will work.  Even though you have a larger disk the image will still work.  As long as your disk is recognized as /dev/hda you're good to go!

The above is for LXDE.  If the method works and you like it you can add E17, or I can build an E17 Clonezilla image from quotaholics dd version.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier