I need some help please

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
serialjoepsycho

I need some help please

Post by serialjoepsycho »

All right I'm lost figuring out a new operating system and i'm lost. I just put linux on my desktop and I have no clue how any of the available webdt images on a usb. I tried unetbootin with the new 500meg debian lxde package quotaholic worked up but I actually think I need an ISo for that. Anywho I'm lost I googled it and I'm still lost.  It's the 64 bit ubuntu jaunty jackalope that I'm running on my computer. Any  help would be appreciated.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: I need some help please

Post by quotaholic »

If I knew how to build an installer I would however the dd tool is a raw transfer tool in linux and unix. They do make a windows version but not relevant here.

Grab the slax 6.1.1 iso and get that on a thumb drive and bootable by following the directions on the slax site for doing so.

Next get the lxde image on another thumbdrive.

Boot the dt to slax with a usb hub in place. As its going though its thing plug in the thumb drive with lxde on it.

Press escape at the login to get a terminal.

Login: root
pass: toor

Now for good measure partition your drive eliminating all partitions

Code: Select all

cfdisk
opens a cli partition utlity

Erase all partitons make one new partition at maximum size. Toggle bootable on. Type 083 and write. Answer: yes.
quit

now type:

fdisk -l
or

dmesg | tail
to see the paths to the drives that you have plugged in.

to transfer the image type:

dd if=/path/to/image.img of=/dev/hda
path to image being the whole path to the image on the usb stick including the extention.

This will take about 15 minutes. Wait for the lights to stop blinking the terminal command may finish first.

Enjoy

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.