100% Working NimbleX on the WebDT366

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 100% Working NimbleX on the WebDT366

Post by volkswagner »

Thanks Dave,

I did download one rdesktop.mo, it did not launch though.  Do you know if this is a server or client or server/client app?

Some things worth noting on the NimbleX on USB, or feature requests.
  • Don't get locked out, I accidentally hit lock on the Kmenu, this immediately logs you off, and activates the screen saver, without a keyboard you will have to hit reset or power off
  • Would rather see screen power off, than screen saver.
  • Would like to see a minimize on the Virtual keyboard, (not a Nimblex thing I know).
  • KDE may be too heavy, what would be better?
  • Battery Meter does not keep track, it stays at initial reading at boot.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

I tried to setup the "blank" screen saver as the one to use in the "standby" icon, but it wouldn't show up.  So that's why I used the "matrices" as the screensaver when you launch the "standby" icon.

I knew about the lock problem.  You can't launch xvkbd to type in the password if you lock the session.

As far as xvkbd minimize, that's how the programmers made it ... I guess they didn't want to put a minimize option.

Yes, KDE is far too heavy for the WebDT.  Flux ran very smooth, but this was removed in the NimbleX build, and the Slax5 build didn't detect most of the WebDT's hardware, so that's the reason for using NimbleX.

As far as the Battery Meter, well that's Linux ... ACPI has always been a thorn in Linux's side.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

rdesktop is the client side, it will connect to any RDP server (EG. Windows terminal server) It should also connect to any windows machine (XP or later) that has remote desktop shared enabled.

To share out a windows desktop:

Right Click My Computer

Properties-->Remote Tab

To connect with rdesktop

rdesktop -g 1600x1200 machinename

where 1600x1200 is replaced with your windows screen res and machinename is your machines name,

Note: if you are connecting to a windows terminal server you can set any res you like.
Note: if you have connection issues try disabling VNC server if you have it running on your Windows machine.

Another way to think about rdesktop is that it is the equivalent to "Remote Desktop Connection" under communications menu of XP.

If you are trying to connect to the DT from another machine then VNC is the way to go. I like VNC so much more (after a bit of a learning curve) and even use it on all our windows machines here at work for remote management.

Dave.
HyperNewb
Developer
Developer

Post by HyperNewb »

I gave this a quick go and it worked perfectly. I'm in the process of finding the smallest flash drive possible now:)
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

Glad to hear that it worked out!
spouky

Post by spouky »

is it possible to perform all these steps and make Nimblex 2008 work on DT366?

I want Firefox 3 and add-ons (flash,java,quickTime,divx,etc)

How to install Nimblex on board instead of external USB stick, is it possible to have a way of permanent installation?

Can one add softwares on USB once machine started, will it remain there after reboot?

TX

Denis from CANADA
Origen

Re: 100% Working NimbleX on the WebDT366 not working?

Post by Origen »

I have went through the tutorial about four times now, with 4 different computers, one running XP home the others running XP pro. And when I install the Thumb drive(s) in the the DT, I always only get to a point with a lot of errors, modules not loading and NimbleX does not load. Heres what I get:

SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x303ab
SQUASHFS error: unable to read uid/gid table
mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on memory/ images/NimbleX-2007v2.mo failed: Invalid argument
Cannot read module data. corrupted downlaod?
* -> /modules/m02-X11.mo
* -> /modules/m03-xvkdb-2-8.mo
* -> /modules/m04-xvkdb-fonts-f5dpi.mo
* -> /modules/m05-FireFox2.mo
* -> /modules/m06-Tweaks_Penmount.mo
* -> /modules/m07-Firefox_Prefs.mo
* copying rootchanges
* creating /etc/fstab
* changing root directory....
linux live end, starting the Linux distribution
linuxrc: exec: 186: /usr/bin/chroot: not found
Kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill int!

Are there some intermal changes in the DT366 I should look for?

Also what the best way to just dump Windows CE and Install this directly?

Any help?

thanks!
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Thanks guys.  My problem was how I called rdesktop.  I just entered in the run command , but nothing happended.  I was expecting a dialog window to fill in the server info. like linux terminal server client does.  I did not realize I needed it as part of the command.

I'll give it a go next time I boot NimbleX USB.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
spouky

Need help please: installing Niblex on the internal flash webdt drive

Post by spouky »

I performed all and works great.

Now I want an installation on the machine itself (internal flash drive).

So, I tried to ghost the USB-niblex with ghost32.exe (option=boot image) and got a succeed message with a name.gho file image (224M).

I used Windows-98 DOS boot and ghost.exe to flash my webdt 366 with this name.gho image but... I always get an error saying it is an unknown image file.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help!

Denis fom CANADA
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hold that thought until NimbleX 2009 is released. We donated a WebDT to the NimbleX project in hopes that the developer will work out some of the slow down that we are seeing after installation. I am sure we would hear no complaints if we sent more donations in their direction.

I was just on the NimbleX site and ran in to a nice post that I am going to link here. It is from the developer and he goes over a few different methods one can use to save both data and configurations in NimbleX.

http://www.nimblex.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=110&Itemid=9
miltonwillis

Post by miltonwillis »

???
I'm glad that everyone else is having such luck with this....
I am not.
Maybe my inexperience is showing but, this tutorial isn't working for me.
It's one complication or another.

First, getting the Nimble iso is proving difficult because I have no program capable of opening/finding/saving the download so I download and its as though I never did. It's nowhere to be found on my computer.
I used an older PC with Win XP Pro and when the download finished, I had to download a program called Iso-something to even see the files on the Nimble download.

Eventually, I THOUGHT that I had burned both Slax and Nimle to CD-R's but when I tried using my command prompt in the next step, that command did not work. Thus, no bootable USB drive created. Also, the Nimble disk couldn't even be opened to view its contents without "finding an approriate program".

I'm VERY frustrated as I have been trying this for 3-4 days now (you can only download Nimble once per day).
I've watched the tutorial video. It's just not working out for me.
It would seem that there has to be some details that I am missing and maybe thses instructions aren't just for "anybody" but for someone that has some sort of skill.
I have none but, I know I can follow instructions.

Can someone PLEASE help me???
HyperNewb
Developer
Developer

Post by HyperNewb »

Howdy Milt, sounds to me like you put the iso itself on a disk rather than burning the image. Anywho, grab this (http://www.imgburn.com/) and install it. When you open the program click on "write image to disk". If you have more than one cd/dvd drive make sure you pick the burner otherwise the stat button wont light up. This shoudl take care of burning the iso image properly to a  disk for ya.  I hope this helps, since I'm just assuming what your problem may or may not be:)

Pete
Fleegman
Developer
Developer

Post by Fleegman »

@miltonwillis

I just sent you a message, but I'll post it here for future users.

Just download 7-zip and extract the ISO's to folders.  If you carefully watch my video tutorial, you will see that is what I have done.  The only reason why I suggested to burn them to DVD was to make the text-tutorial easier to write.

Again, use 7-zip and extract BOTH the Slax ISO and the NimbleX ISO to their own folders, carefully watch my video and pay attention as to how I'm accessing those files... that's what I did and it saved me 2 DVDs and tons of time.

Enjoy!

EDIT UPDATE:

I've uploaded some photo's to help you out using 7-zip as they will explain the steps better than words.

http://aqwinfo.sqweebs.com/webdt366/7zip_step1.png

http://aqwinfo.sqweebs.com/webdt366/7zip_step2.png

http://aqwinfo.sqweebs.com/webdt366/7zip_step3.png
Last edited by Fleegman on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustafa

Post by Mustafa »

Hello
I have everything working on but only the file WEBDT_LINUX_CUSTOM.ZIP is missing anybody willing to share it?I have no idea what is inside that.I just started working on this device.Thanks.
trmptplyr2368

Post by trmptplyr2368 »

Can someone please repost the .zip file in the tutorial? I tried to download it but the link was broken... thanks a lot...

-trmptplyr2368