Debian5-WebDT366-LXDE-1.2-500meg image

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Debian5-WebDT366-LXDE-1.2-500meg image

Post by quotaholic »

Hey Folks,

This is a milestone release. On this image we have working hard buttons and working directional pad. Blueman-0.5 and Iceweasel are included as well as the standard compliment of LXDE offerings.

Found a neat application here:

http://anyremote.sourceforge.net

Its a "oh wow look at that" program that I have yet to use. It looked neat so I am hoping its useful. It may provide some client server control structure for those of us with media centers or home automation on the mind. Included the anyremote app, the gui for the app and a html converter that will allow one to use a webpage for interfacing control.

Audacious is in here as well as audacious plugins. Streaming and local playing of mp3 files is possible. Bluetooth is released as "testing" as this is a new manager. The current blueman(1.10) would not fit as it requires Gcc compilers for it to build. Please let me know how 0.5 goes.

Synergy is a mouse and keyboard sharing application that will allow you to use wifi to share mice and keyboards with other local computers.

Wicd Network manager is great in my mind as its one of the only managers I can find that signs back on to the last network it was associated to without any interaction. As long as your air card is supported wpa should be no problem. ***Cisco air 350 cards currently do not do wpa. 

Rdesktop is also included. This should allow you to remote desktop with windows based computers.

MC file manager is in here as well.

Button mapping:
Currently the keyboard button opens the keyboard
Home button opens pcmanfm
Wireless button opens bluetooth manager as the wicd app sits in the tray
Screen button is mapped as the return key

If you wish to change these simply:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /home/webdt/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
Scroll down to the parts where programs or "executables" are mapped. Change to your liking and save. Log out and back in and enjoy your changes.

I have noticed that if I start the webdt with a keyboard or another usb device attached that the buttons dont always work. Most devices exist or get their power from the usb bus on the DT. When we start up with a device plugged in it stands to reason that some items in the DT on the usb bus get addressed slightly differently. If I was better with code I may be able to figure out a way to cover for these slight address changes when other items are plugged in. If you can avoid plugging in usb devices until the desktop shows that should get you working buttons each time.

Link to image

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag67h2a/n/Debian5-WebDT366-LXDE-1_2-500meg_tar_gz

http://linuxtracker.org/download.php?id=be7be885dabb6ae2132b010fc088816694c1d73f&f=Debian5-WebDT366-LXDE-1.2-500meg.torrent

BIOS tips:

My best performance was obtained on this chip with cache set to write-back. This setting was within the cache section.

Next I set dma or drive speed mode to "PIO2" for both drives from the "AUTO" default. This seemed to do a little better on performance. This setting was in the i/o section.
Last edited by quotaholic on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
kr1810bm8

Re: Debian5-WebDT366-LXDE-1.2-500meg image

Post by kr1810bm8 »

Thank you very much! Today I will try.
The brightness is controlled and does not?
manko

Post by manko »

Thanks! :)
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Gentleman, Its my pleasure. Please let me know how this works out for you.

A note on current video status:

Although there is a "Geode" video driver available this driver does not work with "current" linux distributions. In fact it breaks the graphics causing an unusable screen. I had to use a "dummy' vesa driver that does not make a good handshake with hardware. For this reason backlight or brightness applications are likely not going to work. AMD makes the Geode product line and they seem to have let go their main geode programmer around the first of the year. Unfortunate for us.

quotaholic
ionbladez

Post by ionbladez »

This image is great, installed it last night.
Sound works through the speakers, finally! (well at least in my case.)
Thanks a lot.
Oh, the blueman doesn't pair with my headphones.
I have yet to try anything else though.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thought I had a good one there. Thanks for the heads up. I opened a terminal and typed "sudo blueman" and see a few reasons why your headphones may not be taking though blueman.

Feel free to add to or watch my report on blueman-project.org:

http://www.blueman-project.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=169#p763

I am dependent on them for a suggestion as to how to fix.

In the mean time try this:

http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/HOWTO/AudioDevices

You may be able to bypass the utility and hard code your head phones to the DT.

quotaholic