Recomended linux distro for webdt?

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
manko

Recomended linux distro for webdt?

Post by manko »

Hi,
i see that Quotaholic has done a great job on custom webdt linux distros. 

Wich of the distros ar recomended?
I need firefox and support for a 3com xjack 11b pcmcia wlan card.  And when linux is installed, i just need it to work. (WAF)

I have no multimedia needs, but to play a mp3 file form my shared network once and a while would be cool.

A nice light user interface would also be nice.

I planed to use Xp on my webdt 366 but i needed .net 2 freamwork to work with it. But no luck.

Markus
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Recomended linux distro for webdt?

Post by quotaholic »

I have been using Opera in most of my builds as it runs a lot better than Firefox on these. Dont know if Opera suits your needs or not however if its a deal breaker I may be working on something with iceweasel in the near future.

As for networking the network manager wicd can be scripted to access the same network without prompting. The good result is that it automatically signs on for you even in encryption is used. The bad part is that if you switch air cards or dont put the air card in the system runs hot as it will be looking for the card. Other than that wicd will suit your needs on WAF.

You have not provided enough information on your wireless card for me to be able to tell you if any of the builds I have made will work. Most all of them have madwifi in them. Madwifi supports many atheros based wifi cards. Here is a small listing of 3com products that madwifi supports.

http://wiki.lapis-linux.org/index.php/Hardware_Supported_by_MadWifi

Looks like the 175 in a couple of models is supported.

Audio is not trivial on these as the media players take up some real estate. Slackware 12.2 has good integration of a media player in it and it also has wicd. Opera is installed but you can easily install firefox with this command as root:

Code: Select all

slackpkg install firefox
Debian LXDE would be a second choice. Once can use apt to remove and install on debian.

There are some front ends in linux for different things. May I ask what you needed .net for?
manko

Post by manko »

Thanks a bunch :)
Il have my brother take a look at this :)

.net 2 is for a home automation application. I use Homeseer, and Homeseer Touch requires .net 2.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

I am about to release a 500 meg build with iceweasel (essentially firefox as it takes all the same plugins) and some other things. Working on performance tuning at the moment. Does homeseer have a html interface of anything modular we can aim at? I have rdesktop installed on this build and am about to go for anyremote and synergy as well. That will hopefully cover a few applications requiring control.

This build has the good network manager. Bluetooth took some space but it should work ok. MP3 player is in here too.

Hope to have this image posted later tonight or tomorrow morning
quotaholic
manko

Post by manko »

That would be very intresting indeed :)

There is a pretty good ajax webinterface via a 3rd party for homeseer. so this forthcomming build would probably be the thing :)

Thanks again. This forum is incredible :)