Touch Screen Calibration

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Touch Screen Calibration

Post by david_halliday »

While I have the touch screen working and calibrated with gCal I am having some problems doing drag events, for example dragging a corner of a window to resize it. Has anyone else seen this? Im guessing it is somthing to do with one of the options in xorg.conf

Dave.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Touch Screen Calibration

Post by quotaholic »

I too have had this. Especially if I tweak the default 500ms hold time (to activate right click) down to say less than 350ms.

Certainly I cant claim to not see this anymore but calibrating to the maximum point value has "steadied" the pointer some for me.

Code: Select all

sudo gCal 25
Also I have noticed this when memory is bottoming out. I have been using "top" a great deal recently to try to tune the slackware 12.2 image I am building. It seems as soon as xorg starts to draw pictures of the resizing window our shared video memory suffers.

I will be making a few references in one of the new sections with the results of some tests I am running today using some specific geode gx2 video calls in xorg.

quotaholic
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

Yup, that did the trick setting the 2nd button time to 500ms now enables me to resize windows however the pointer still jigggles about even if the pen is held very still this meens getting a second button event is very difficult.

As you mentioned gCal 25 helps some but it is still not ideal.

Dave.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Your right it helps but does not eliminate the issue. Yesterday while trying to get the geode x11 driver to take I noticed some distinct differences in the xorg.conf files between the different distributions that Penmount supports. Some use screen scaling and some do not. Suse for instance uses a scaled screen and uses buffers within that scale. Slackware also uses this method in part. I have played with this some but have not obtained steadier pointer as of yet. Going to submit a ticket to Penmount on this one. Lets see what comes back.

quotaholic
mak

Post by mak »

I had the same problem (but mine is ubuntu 9.04 on webdt360, setting up as an Xterminal with FVWM).
Adding  ' Option "SendDragEvents" "1" ' in "InputDevice" section fixed the problem for me.
(I've just joined this forum and I'm sorry if i'm missing the point but hope this can be some help) 
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Great help! Thanks for your post. I noticed inproved performance after installing "splashy". Splashy installed libdirectfb-extra package. After this My resizing was much smoother.

You are the first to report ubuntu 9.04 working on a DT. Can I ask you to post a little on how it ruuns and what you had to do to get it running?

Thanks again
quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
mak

Post by mak »

I'm glad to know it worked for you as well.  And, I thank YOU very much for this forum.  It is very helpful for DT360 as well.

My Ubuntu 9.04 installation is not a very exciting project.  It's a very minimum cli installation from Alt CD plus a very minimum Xorg environment for using XDMCP to connect to a server.  I'm trying to set up DT360 as a mobile POS terminal in my small shop.  Anyway, it installs, VT6656 driver compiles and works, and Penmount driver works.  The front buttons are working as well - I haven't mapped them to anything yet, though.

MAK
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Only because I was the one to file the bug report on ubuntu's launchpad I am very curious to know what kernel version you are running? All of the ubuntu variants we tried resulted in corrupted graphics. There was one tutorial for using a live cd to go in after the install and swap out a kernel for a working version. I opted for a different path though as that was unfamiliar to me.

Is this install on the 500 meg internal flash? Congrats in getting it running!
mak

Post by mak »

It's 2.6.28-11-generic, which came in the installation CD (I should mention that I'm not really familer with Ubuntu but I'm using it for VT6656 and Penmount drivers).  I had no problem during its text mode installation.

At this moment, everything is on 500M? internal flash, except /var is on a 16M CF card, which I had for years in my desk drawer.  Also, I'm using tmpfs for /tmp.  And no swap.
I had to uninstall kernerl-headers and build-essential packages after installing VT6656 module.  Then, stripped all the binaries (incl. libraries).  Installed Xorg and penmount driver.  Installed gtk-2 and its friends for gCal and uninstalled them after calibrating the device.  Now, I'm trying to figure out whatelse I can get rid of.  Really, there isn't much space to work with.  I'll probably get a small usb key for some local applications - I found the wireless connection is little too slow for my purpose.

MAK 
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Hey mak, Interesting application you have the dt on. I just got a DT360 yesterday. Already looking for an n draft mini pci e card. Let you know when I find a good one. I found that the application "localepurge" free'd up about 20 megs. I think I got another 14 or so by erasing /usr/share/doc and again /usr/share/man. Dont know if that may help you out at all or not but thought I would mention.

Considering how much faster the bus is on the 360 I am thinking that sym links may be the way to go on this. Did you notice a performance difference once you linked var?

quotaholic