This has been tested and it does not work!!

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

This has been tested and it does not work!!

Post by quotaholic »

If you read the NimbleX posts you would know that I shipped my webdt to Bogden, the developer for the NimbleX project. I did order another however its not going to get to me until Weds of this coming week. Anyway on top of that the Gigabyte motherboard that was in my HTPC Mythbuntu box went out so I am out for a while as a tester for this for this. Check it out....

I went to susestudio.com and used a neat template called the jeOS or "Just Enough Operating System". On to the "base" I added a MythTV front end and when I did it just sat for a minute and then it added 110 MB of dependencies. Including minimal graphical. Added wireless-tools and dhcp and dhcp-cd, xvkbd, that added xsaw3d which is a suse screen calibration tool. I just want to say that again. Xsaw3d is a suse screen calibration tool.

This part I am still rubbing my eyes on but I went to penmount and got the suse 11.1 updated driver and the build service allowed me to upload it and include it in the build. The first time I built an image here It made in like two minutes. This one took fifteen. I can only hope that it built the driver automatically but I doubt it.

Fingers crossed on this but Suse is Novell. They do pay Microsoft a lot of money and although I wont say how I feel about that they may have enough say in the industry to have a fully functioning driver. Possibly they used these at one point and had to make it work and put in their tree. Who knows, again, fingers crossed.

The details of this image I built are that its a 156mb tar.gz file that opens to a 408mb .raw file. From there Suse claims that it will install to 530mb. Last I partitioned ext3 I saw 534mb of space.

Mythfrontend is there, mythbrowser, mythkeybindings, and one other. I took screenshots all the way. Incuding one of the expanded directory tree of the penmount driver package in the / directory. I said xvkbd right?

User is :  user
Pass is :  mythtv

Root is : root
Pass is : linux

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dGRNikIIAbPiUif_i5gspQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VHSjsJBjUcRK9AwlXGUjwQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YDxEqSbD-YBDtiIXJH7kgg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/KxZ4tNHtWOjlFEYdyd8KRQ?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dk8D_ANTKrnC_TD3bpqbhw?feat=directlink

This guy is set up to autologin on boot and autorun mythtvfrontend. I have only used mythtv for about three days so I have absolutely no clue what I am doing. Anyone can use that build service. Suse has linked to outside repositories to keep pace with Ubuntu. Added the pacman repo and I know the mplayer that's in the frontend will be the good version.

http://susestudio.com/

This should auto logon to the unencrypted network and act as a thin client to a mythtv backend. I did not have room to put a config client, or at least find one small enough in reasonable time. Nor was there room for wireless encryption libraries. I may be able to do away with some of the myth stuff but I do not know. Dont know if this will even work.

Anyone want to try?  I would appreciate all feedback and especially if you have problems with the link!

* download removed * 4-01-09 tested and failed.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need a tester and quick who uses mythtv!!??

Post by volkswagner »

I tried to download the image.

Here is the error I received.  I don't have an account with filefactory.

Sorry, there are currently no free download slots available on this server.

Please try again later, or you can upgrade to FileFactory Premium below for instant access.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks for letting me know. I will check it out immediately.

ok

Just changed the formatting of the link. I signed out and followed the link as a guest and did get a download dialog box. Please try again and let me know if it works for you.

quotaholic
Last edited by quotaholic on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
tkmedia
Developer
Developer

Post by tkmedia »

Was having problems but now is DL thx

I will try tonight hopefully

Tim
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks for the confirm!

quotaholic
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Currently downloading @ 100KB/s.

Looks like that did the trick.

I'll try it out ASAP.
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Thanks for letting me know on the link. If you find that this does not boot I may kill the thread until I can get a suse image tested myself. I should have my replacement dt today or tomorrow. My fingers are crossed but I suspect since it was my first linux build attempt......

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I will give it a shot too here in a few as well I donwloaded it earlier . looks like that thing is an alpha .
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

although it says alpha its about the most impressive thing I have seen on the internet. if my image fails please sign up and give it a shot. my invite came in about two days after signing up. the templates they lay out give you a base to start with. From there its just like shopping in a package manager. Tip: if you do sign up and go to build a distro erase the default "pae" kernel as it wont work on the dt.

quotaholic
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I signed up I haven't been able to give yours  a shot yet .
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Cool, glad you did. Hope you get the invite soon.  I mean you can actually boot your image on their server and look at it testing through your browser! They even put up buttons for f1 - 12on the window! I didnt have java installed and I didnt test mine as a result (wow I should really do that!) but once you get in there, tell me if your not impressed. 

off to install java
quotaholic
tkmedia
Developer
Developer

Post by tkmedia »

ok I have a raw file. not sure exactly what to do with it.

i assume rawrite it to a usb or cf?

Tim
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Yeah I think you are right. I did a dd of an .raw image in the past. Hold on let me grab suse's instructions on the image install steps....ah here we go:

http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Studio#Disc_image_howtos

let me know...
quotaholic
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Re: This has been tested and it does not work!!

Post by quotaholic »

After a few attempts each Suse distribution that was tried (10.3 - 11.1) cause a reboot as soon as the kernel starts to load. We have written suse to ask if they have any i486 or i386 kernels to include in Suse Studio build service however no reply as of yet. Prior to Suse 10.3 they were using rpm based package management as opposed to "zypper" their binary system that was phased in at 10.3. Thus any prior editions to 10.3 have not been tried.

quotaholic