Nimblex 2009 WebDT Beta

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Nimblex 2009 WebDT Beta

Post by quotaholic »

Just heard back from Bogdan and he has indicated the following:

This is a special NimbleX version for WebDT based on NimbleX 2008 and with a customized version of the kernel that will be in NimbleX 2009.

WARNING: NimbleX was not designed to work on hardware that is as limited as the WebDT hardware so expect very little.

This archive contains some last minute changes that are NOT TESTED AT ALL and there is a slim possibility nothing will work.

If I haven't missed major suff the following should work:

- The touchscreen should work acceptable. For that I had to downgrade the X server to a much older version. Also the X server taker forever to load probably because of the penmount touchscreen driver. Maybe someone could try to find a way to make X server load much faster.

- Bluetooth is untested but if I had to guess I'd say it will work. Most bluetooth related drivers are compiled directly in vmlinuz because in theory this would provide a more robust and slightly faster loading kernel.

- The buttons from the front of the device now register keypresses. Support is compiled directly in vmlinuz and there is an additional module called WebDT-keyboard.lzm that has a program which fires various scripts when one of the 4 buttons uder the display are pressed. I think the keypresses register function keys (eg. the keybord key registers F1 ?!) so maybe that program is not the best way to go. Also in the module it's the matchbox-keyboard with a customized layout that makes it very big but also very easily usable.

- Sound works. Drivers are compiled directly in vmlinuz again. When KDE loads you can hear the device is struggling to load and it make a very bad sound but when playing music in XMMS it works just fine.

Tips and tricks:

1. gparted can be used to easily format the internal flash of the webdt.
2. the persistent-dev.lzm module can be used to improve boot time by not using udevtrigger & udevsettle components of udev. udevd --daemon is still recommended so that hotpluggable USB will work. Bottom line, to improve boot speed comment line 96 in rc.udev and use that module.
3. If KDE is too slow for your taste try e17, fluxbox, ede or something else. Instead of startx at the autoexec parameter you can have: rune16, rune17, runede, runice, runflux, runtwm. For added usability try to optimize them for WebDT and ... don't forget to share :)
4. Tapping the screen for ~1s should produce a right-click event. I find this very little usable but when you have to right-click it's the only way to go.
5. Delete nimblex/rootcopy/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd if you don't want SSH to start. If you decide you want to start SSH don't forget to CHANGE THE ROOT PASSWORD and generate your SSH keys again for increased security. Currently pregenerated keys are available in WebDT-Settings.lzm to prevent for generating every boot.
6. Try to use the rootcopy directory as little as possible when you run NimbleX for a FAT partition because fat is not POSIX compliant and it doesn't hold correct permissions for your files. If you make changes you should pack them in a LZM module.
7. The dir2lzm command can be used for packing a directory as a LZM module and lzm2dir for the reverse action.

Further work.

There is much that can be improved but I don't think I'll be able to help with this. Hopefully someone can continue where I left of and optimize this for the WebDT. I think the main advantage is that now you can use packages that are compatible with NimbleX 2008 and packages that will be available soon for NimbleX 2009.

Even though boot will always be slow because the first 50 second of the boot on the WebDT actually take 2-3 seconds on my laptop and there is not much I think can be done there, there are places where the boot could be optimized like init scripts (start less things) and probably X.

The interface could be designed around a much lighter window manager and that will make the device perform a lot better. For example if you would want to use the thing mainly for web stuff KDE is a lot of bloat and the only requirement would be Firefox and a virtual keyboard that can be binded to the correct button on WebDT.

I've only booted from a flash drive where I installed syslinux but if that worked I don't see why booting from the internal flash shouldn't be possible.

All this being said, Happy Hacking
Bogdan

And here is the link:

http://public.nimblex.net/test/NimbleX-09-webdt-beta.tar.gz

Thank you very much Bogdan!
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Re: Nimblex 2009 WebDT Beta

Post by david_halliday »

Things are not as slow as he makes out. It looks like he only used an external flash and not the internal! And as we all know the DT366  uses USB 1.1 no wonder it took 50 seconds to boot.

All good news none the less.

Dave.

> I've only booted from a flash drive where I installed syslinux but if that worked I don't see why booting from the internal flash shouldn't be possible.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

I wouldnt expect much faster boot times with the internal flash  kde is a slow booter on these.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

There are a few other options beyond KDE. NimbleX comes with quite a few desktops to choose from. E-17 being my favorite. Many of these will be less consuming on resources than KDE. I copied a line out of the letter I have received from Bogdan.
If KDE is too slow for your taste try e17, fluxbox, ede or something else. Instead of startx at the autoexec parameter you can have: rune16, rune17, runede, runice, runflux, runtwm. For added usability try to optimize them for WebDT and ... don't forget to share Smiley
Cant help but think that this is a viable option for lots of applications from web, pdf or music playing.
david_halliday
Developer
Developer

Post by david_halliday »

I agree, It is also worth pointing out that Bogdan only ever booted from a USB flash drive and as we all know this is dog slow compared to the internal flash.
I've only booted from a flash drive where I installed syslinux but if that worked I don't see why booting from the internal flash shouldn't be possible.
Dave.
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Has anyone been successful in installing this to the internal flash? After a few tries using different methods I can only muster a grub error.
DexS

Post by DexS »

Hi all.
Sorry for my bad english.
Has installed NimbleX-09-webdt-beta.tar.gz. All is good, but does not work xkvb.
Somebody knows why?
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

quotaholic wrote: Just heard back from Bogdan and he has indicated the following:
Further work.

All this being said, Happy Hacking
Bogdan

Thank you very much Bogdan!
quotaholic wrote: Has anyone been successful in installing this to the internal flash? After a few tries using different methods I can only muster a grub error.

I just don't think this Nimblex build will work on internal drive.  Not sure if it is the kernel or what, but it does not properly recognise the drive.

DexS wrote: Hi all.
Sorry for my bad english.
Has installed NimbleX-09-webdt-beta.tar.gz. All is good, but does not work xkvb.
Somebody knows why?
DexS, if you have a USB keyboard, try running the command in a terminal to see what errors you get.

Code: Select all

xvkbd
Since this is not an installer based setup, all should work, and any difference is most likely a bad download, or improper un zipping (file permissions).
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
DexS

Post by DexS »

volkswagner wrote: Since this is not an installer based setup, all should work, and any difference is most likely a bad download, or improper un zipping (file permissions).
It is possible.

I have downloaded archive, have unsqueezed its program "7zip", then have created an image program "UltraISO" (iso), after have loaded on flash program "Unetbootin".

You can create and post .ISO an image?

The report on errors will be later.

(sorry for my bad english again)
volkswagner
Administrator
Administrator

Post by volkswagner »

Creating an .iso will not help.  You will still need an operating system, ie: live CD to apply the image to the drive.  We are working on getting an installer based system.  Stay tuned!
Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.
My Wife's invention Doll Carrier
DexS

Post by DexS »

volkswagner wrote:
DexS, if you have a USB keyboard, try running the command in a terminal to see what errors you get.

xvkbd

-sh xvkbd: command not found
what is it?
quotaholic
Administrator
Administrator

Post by quotaholic »

Xvkbd is short for X Virtual Keyboard. The Developer of Nimblex did not use this program. Reading through his release notes I found this:
The buttons from the front of the device now register keypresses. Support is compiled directly in vmlinuz and there is an additional module called WebDT-keyboard.lzm that has a program which fires various scripts when one of the 4 buttons uder the display are pressed. I think the keypresses register function keys (eg. the keybord key registers F1 ?!) so maybe that program is not the best way to go. Also in the module it's the matchbox-keyboard with a customized layout that makes it very big but also very easily usable.
Please look in the utility menu or another menu for Matchbox-Keyboard or type "matchbox-keyboard" in the terminal to see if you get one then.