Making faster Backups using "Acronis True Image"

This board posts about running linux on your webdt366
mcreim

Making faster Backups using "Acronis True Image"

Post by mcreim »

Hello Everyone,

I made a backup of my DT366 via ghost a couple of days ago and it took me about 3h to backup the whole drive. (500megs).
Now I use Acronis True Image (which I bought the other day). There is also a free trial version available, which can be downloaded from the page http://www.acronis.de (don't worry the page can be displayed in english too).
It runs about 20-30 times faster. I made the same backup in about 20 minutes.

If you connect your mouse, keyboard, usb-stick and cd-drive via hub to the dt366 you can easyly use it to make backups (even if you have a linux-filesystem like ext2 or ext3 on the internal flash). All can be controlled via mouse. You can even change partition sizes while restoring the image.

Greetings
Michael
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Making faster Backups using "Acronis True Image"

Post by angrymeat »

i had bad luck with acronis corrupting in the past so i tend to stay away from it . what were you using  to image your unit before?I am able to back mine up in about 45 minutes or so using ghost with fast compression . ill grab a copy of acronis and give it a shot soon .
mcreim

Post by mcreim »

angrymeat wrote: i had bad luck with acronis corrupting in the past so i tend to stay away from it . what were you using  to image your unit before?I am able to back mine up in about 45 minutes or so using ghost with fast compression . ill grab a copy of acronis and give it a shot soon .
I use acronis on my desktop. It saved me the complete reinstall three times.
When I backed um my dt366 via ghost to an USB-stickit took about 3h. maybe the stick was to slow, but I think it has something to do with ghost since acronis did the same job withe the same stick in about 20min.
angrymeat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by angrymeat »

nice  i have my base system setup on a dvd  custom windows install so when my system turds out i just reinstall the os and a couple of applications . ill give it a shot later